Bass Octave Pedal Reviews

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tunaman, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

Underrated effect with VERY few reviews...
    What do you use? What do you like? What do you hate?
    EBS, EH, Boss, MHX, Akai, Black cat etc!

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator

Media:
    actually, there's lots of prior reviews available via the search function.

I use the Digitech Bass Synth Wah as an octaver. The Akai Deep Impact also has an excellent octaver. The Digitech has been the fastest tracking, and the most reliable at tracking below A IME.

3. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

another vote for teh digitech bass synth wah....... it may sound strange to you if you're hearing it for the first time, but you jsut set it to the setting with the sub-synth and turn the effect all the way down so all you're left with is a dry octave down, and it tracks really well and quickly for me as well. and its cheaper than most other options that dont perform as well

4. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

Funny thing, I actually started out with a Digitech Bass Synth Wah. While it could keep track of the fastest finger style licks, it couldn't track when you slap at all and ended up sounding really ugly. Besides that, my Stingray clipped the input a little when I dug in.

I've since switched to a Boss OC-3 Super Octave and have never looked back at all. The OC-3 has a dedicated input for bass, plus it has a drive mode, the original OC-2 mode, and a polyphonic mode. When in polyphonic mode, this thing keeps up with anything. I can slap as fast as I want, play as fast as I want and it's still there. To me it sounds a lot better than the Digitech as well. The other modes on the pedal are definitely worth the $110 I paid for this thing. All I have to say is this I'm extremely pleased for never having been a fan of Boss.

NOTE: IT SUCKS WITH PASSIVE BASSES UNLESS YOU ARE RUNNING A COMPRESSOR BEFORE IT OR YOU HAVE A REALLY HOT OUTPUT.
    SO FOR PASSIVE BASSES, PLEASE CHECK OUT THE DIGITECH.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Leftyjames

Leftyjames

I use the octaver on my Boss ME-50B and i'm really pleased about it. It's pretty quick and the tracking isn't to bad.

Altough I'm thinking about getting and MXR bass octave.. hase anyone got any expieriance with it ?

(In my band I've got the octave on all the time (because, we are a drum and bass duo so I play high notes and with the octave it sounds a bit like .. guitar and bass witch is pretty cool) together with the high band drive (with the gain all the way) this is a killer sound !)

7. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

IMO, if you want an awesome octave down - the old Mutron Octave pedals blow everything else out of the water. It's so nasty and funky that it's hard to believe - super synthy too. Throw on the stabilizer and tracking is a breeze, add in the green ringer and you get an upper octave almost ring mod sound too. I'm not positive about the bypass, but I don't notice any signal loss. When combined with a greasy filter of choice you get some really unique, head turning sounds. :bassist:

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    What options are available for an octave up, other than the Akai Unibass?

9. BassMicroSynth

BassMicroSynth

the EH bass micro synth has an octave down and an octave up. The octave up has a very slight amount of grit to it though. Both track well down to the low G on my Fender Jazz.

10. David Wilson

Media:
    I believe the new EHX POG has an octave up.

11. Highpines

Highpines

Dumb question, but wouldn't lowering an E an octive for example damage a speaker at giging volume.......Hmmmm... I guess my real question is why use one??

12. Joe P

Joe P

I was surprized with this thread in a similar way. I don't know anything about octavers, really, and when I read 'octaver', I just thought "octave-UP, of course". They're usually an octave DOWN?

Joe

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Thanks, David and BassMicroSynth. It sounds like I may have to get to an EH dealer and have a field day.

14. Tunaman

100 bucks for an octave pedal... not too many options. I'm either going to land the Boss OC3 or MXR 90. I'm not a synth guy! What would yall get for 100 or less?

15. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Well, I have a Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz and have to interject the fact that this pedal really isn't a standard "octave" pedal. There is no "clean" octave, and the octave effect is very very subtle. So if you want a true octaver, DO NOT GET IT.

With that said, this pedal will get you mean, nasty funky, slippery fuzz sounds that you could only dream about with other fuzzes. It is truly an incredible pedal.

Ted

16. bassbrad

bassbrad

One of the best bargains out there is the old Digitech BP-8, ususlly about $100, it has a pretty good octaver and a whole lot more including a good phaser. Both the OC3 and MXR 90 are more and only do one trick.
    For other octaver needs I sometimes use a Deep Impact, EHX BMS and even the octaver in the Zoom is kinda nice especially the settings with chorus.

17. David Wilson

Media:
    Digitech bass synth wah is a great octaver and $80 brand new.

18. Mitchell Royce

Mitchell Royce

I've got a new EBS Octabass(the one with three modes) and while tracking is the best I've ever heard(slap is no problem), I wish that it would sustain better and fade out more smooth.
    Coupled with a Bassballs I can get some serious funk going on.

19. Grind It Out

Grind It Out

IMO the mxr bass octave is absolutely terrible...

I have so much trouble with its tracking, its TERRIBLY inconsistent...getting an open D to octave down is a gamble on that thing

I'll agree with every1 else here that the digitech bass synth wah is great tho...i enjoy the ebs as well

20. CaptainHueso

CaptainHueso

I'm interested in getting an octaver that can go both up and down, but cant afford the 300 dollar price tag of the EHX POG. Am I up the proverbial creek without a paddle then??

21. Tunaman

Ordered to Boss OC-3... I figure a very very easy sell with little loss from musicians friend at 80 bucks vs. store 120. Can also sell to guitar players.
    But I'm hoping it works out.
    I'll let yall know