bass odd issues

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by th30nlyAket, Dec 10, 2013.

1. th30nlyAket

th30nlyAket

i have a p bass a jazz and a p/j bass. the p bass for someone reason has high action around the 12th fret down. my other basses are fine no issues blah blah. if i lower action the fret around 15 down become un playable. at this point is a truss rod chnage needed. I did a 1/4 turn when i got it to make up for me adding flats instead of rounds but nothing since then. the rest of the neck seems find other than maybe being a little high than i like(may be i not used to p necks)

2. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Have a pro evaluate your bass.

3. th30nlyAket

th30nlyAket

one does not exist i trust in a reasonable distance

4. JustForSport

JustForSport

Maybe try a thin shim in the front of the neck pocket- nut side.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. svlilioukalani

svlilioukalani

Keep going back and forth between the truss rod and the bridge. Sounds like the truss rod may be a bit too tight, so the neck has no bend. As you add bend, lower the strings at the bridge. 1/4 turn on the truss is not that much, but safe.

7. th30nlyAket

th30nlyAket

so you are thinking maybe too tight?. look at the neck it seems to have a slight bend in it

8. svlilioukalani

svlilioukalani

My bet is there is not enough bend. Or too tight. A general rule of thumb. The truss rod will effect the action on the first 7 frets. The bridge will control higher up the neck. But things must be in balance first. It appears you haven't reached a good starting balance. Even the pro's use trial and error. Just don't force things. And don't be in a hurry.

9. bass geetarist

bass geetarist Supporting Member

Yeah try to balance it out between the neck (if you've only adjusted it a quarter turn once, you should still have some room to work with, though never adjust it by more than a quarter turn in one day) and the bridge. If it's still not right, try a shim. It's an easy process and can make a big difference.

10. friedtransistor

friedtransistor

To adjust the truss, try this: hold the E string down at both the first and last frets, and measure from the top of the tenth fret to the bottom of the string. I have about 1mm for mine, but I suggest starting at 1.5mm. If the distance is larger, tighten the rod slightly (I do mine in 1/2 turn increments, but listen to the others. Go 1/8 turn at a time.), and if it is less, loosen the rod. Once the E string is done, check the G string. If the two strings are different heights, your neck is warped, and need professional attention. If the neck is fine after adjusting, then you can set your action at the bridge.
    Did I miss anything?