1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bass of Doom Experts, neeed some advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dysbtwn, Dec 23, 2013.

1. dysbtwn

dysbtwn Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I recently acquired what I think could be about as close to a "Bass of Doom" as you're going to find and need some advice on appraising it for insurance.

This bass was built by Kevin Kaufman (Jaco's tech/luthier) in the early to mid 90's as one of a few prototypes that he built prior to working for Fender when they manufactured their first run of 100 Jaco Tribute custom shop basses. Although it's almost 20 years old, it is in essentially mint condition and has not been "relic'd".

I have corresponded with Kevin who told me, "No it is not an exact replica...... the fingerboard is thicker because I extended the board to get the high E on the G string....... Jaco I think would have preferred that the board was slightly longer...... The control cluster is slightly larger too because so many people at that time were adding preamps to Hi Z pickup Instruments.... It was a practical thing at the time....... but it is roughly similar in weight and has the same epoxy on the board........

So while it's not an exact replica of the Bass of Doom, it's pretty darn close and was built by the person with the most intimate knowledge of the Bass of Doom (besides Jaco of course).

It has the Jaco sound, I had Bobby Vega, who is a real expert on vintage Jazz basses play it and and he could make it sing and said it was the real deal.

My gut feeling is that this bass has a value beyond the current Jaco basses being sold by the Fender custom shop which retail at $5800 USD, though street price is of course lower (about $4400). I realize the value of the bass is what someone is willing to pay for it, but would appreciate any input so I can make an honest attempt to value it for insurance purposes.

2. dysbtwn

3. remainthesame

remainthesame

if im not mistaken, you need to be a supporting member to ask how much something is worth.

i could be wrong

4. dysbtwn

Sorry, was not aware but have just upgraded to supporting member.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Steveman

Steveman

This is tricky because what you have is probably a one of a kind bass. I'd probably buy this over a Jaco Signature bass anyday, but I don't think it'd be worth more than one not just because "it's not a Fender" but because it has no brand name whatsoever. Kevin Kaufman is a reputable luthier and is among the best of the best, but he's not a brand name like Fodera / Sadowsky / etc. So what you have here is a Jaco Signature prototype built by Kevin Kaufman himself (no brand) and I think that's worth around the $3000 range.

I say $3000 because that puts it in the boutique range. The fact that it's a Jaco Signature prototype I feel cancels out the fact that it's not a brand name, so it should go for what a standard boutique bass would cost. I could be horribly wrong on my evaluation, but this is just my opinion.

7. dysbtwn

8. alembicbones

alembicbones

I think the actual selling value of this bass is a real crapshoot. However, if you are setting a value for insurance purposes, I would contact the luthier and ask what he would charge to recreate the bass today. Then, insure the bass for that value.

Bones

9. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

This makes the most sense to me.

I love the pic, at first I thought "wow, that bass makes the Acoustic rig look tiny!"

10. Rosebud

Rosebud Supporting Member

A little off topic but when I auditioned at University of Miami in the llate 90's someone there had a kevin kaufman fretless that was the nicest fretless I've every played.. Congrats on the bass!