Bass or guitar amp for vocals

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by dar512, Jan 12, 2013.

1. dar512

dar512

I use an iamp 300 to amp my Eminence. I'll be doing vocals next time we perform. Would it be better to
    - plug the mic into the other iamp 300 channel
    or
    - bring an old guitar amp that I've got (Fender 25R) and plug into that.

The fender has reverb so I wouldn't have to buy a reverb box.

If I use the iamp will the vocals compete with the bass?

I've heard that mics into guitar amps don't sound very good. Is that true even if you use an impedance matcher?

There is no FOH, so that is not an option.

I'm strictly amateur, so I'm trying to keep the cost as low as I can and still get a reasonable sound.

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    I'd give the iAmp a shot. You can always try it at home. These days with one band, I run piano and bass into my amp, just because it's so much easier than lugging the pianist's giant Peavey. It sounds just fine. Of course if the bass is pushing the amp to its limits, the vocal will suffer, but if you're playing at moderate volume, it should be OK.

3. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

Mics don't need an impedance buffer, but the signall level from a microphone is much lower than from an instrument, so you might need a microphone preamp.

I wouldn't say the amp is the problem, but the speaker might be. As long as the speaker is not too large (like a 15") it might work. Probably best with a 10" or smaller.
    But be prepared for some feedback and never move the microphone or speaker after you set your amp.