1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bass or Synth?

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by theoldmiami, Dec 5, 2012.

1. theoldmiami

theoldmiami

I've got the budget for a new instrument. Should it be a cool bass or a nice bass synth like a voyager? What's your gut reaction?
  2. Dan Bozek

Dan Bozek

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist, D'addario Strings
    What do you have already, and what are you trying to achieve?! * Robot voice * "Need more input..."

If I had a budget, I'd either get a Geddy Lee Jazz Bass and modify it a little bit because my bass collection is very weak in the J-bass category at the moment, and I'm hoping to start working with someone soon where I want that sound. But, if I didn't want that for practical reasons, I'm interested in checking out the Pittsburgh Modular 2.0 because it looks cool and is made locally to me.
  3. pbass2

pbass2

A Voyager is a heckuva lot more than just a bass synth!
  4. Dan Bozek

Dan Bozek

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist, D'addario Strings
    Yeah, actually that is a good point. The Minotaur would be a little more price efficient if you were only looking for “bass synth” maybe.