bass overdrive pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by monkeybass68, Feb 9, 2013.

1. monkeybass68

monkeybass68 Supporting Member

Not sure if I want to go this route yet, but if I was looking for a pedal to just give me a li'l overdrive, just to dirty up my sound a li'l, what might u suggest?
    I use a Pigtronix Aria for a more thick, almost muff sound, but prefer to not have to dial in different sounds back & forth for different songs within a set. I like to tweak a sound out & leave the pedal alone so I don't have to worry about whether or not I remembered to change the settings before the next song starts.
    Anyway, what's out there, in any of the price ranges, that I can get a nice, slightly overdriven sound?
    In case this info helps, I'm mostly using a Fender P or Jazz thru an SVT3 Pro into SVT-410-HLF.
  2. yaksonator

yaksonator Supporting Member

Well theres the way huge pork loin/green rhino. If your wanting a dark overdrive I'd suggest the fuzzrocious dark driving. Ss/bs mini, etc...... a lot of finding that right overdrive pedal for you is based on the type of overdrive you want. The pork loin is most subtle than the others listed but can get dirty too. I haven't tried the ss/bs or the green rhino just heard samples. The prices on these go from $120 to like $180.
  3. crapusername

crapusername

Disclosures:
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    I have been on this same search for years.
    I've tried the pork loin mentioned above and found that it got lost in a full band mix however it was set ( there are trim pots inside). The green rhino was interesting but I found that even using 100hz boost, it sounded thin
    After many pedals and vast amounts of cash I ended up with the hardwire tube od for low gain stuff.
    Keenly priced, and sounds great!
    Other notable mentions go to the markbass bass tube marker, the dod bass overdrive, and the ebs multidrive, although I didn't find the low low gain was as good as the mid gain in this case
  4. Mikey Migs

Mikey Migs

Boss ds1 is great for me if you put the tone all the way down. Its really cheap but it gets the job done
  5. bassboysam

bassboysam

Fulltone OCD, nothing else comes close other than the Oh See Demon.
  6. monkeybass68

thanks for the input guys. anyone ever try the Boss ODB-3? I had one years ago, but totally forgot whether I liked it or not. Also am very curious to see what the Bass Overdrive pedal that MXR is releasing next month is like. I've had a few of their pedals over the years & have liked some a lot & some not so much. Tried to check out the Oh See Demon online, but was having some issues with their site.
    Truth is, I'm not looking for a heavily overdriven tone. Just something that'll dirty it up just a touch (since I have the Pigtronix Aria like I mentioned for the heavier tone).
  7. monkeybass68

guess I'm sorta looking for the drive that the Sansamp has, but without the DI part.
  8. stratovani

stratovani

You might not like the Boss ODB-3. It's more of a fuzz that a true overdrive, and I found it almost impossible to dial in an overdrive sound without it going right into fuzz territory, even after modding it. If that's your cup of tea, then OK, but for me and the situation I'm in it didn't work.
  9. TurkeypillSLEEP

TurkeypillSLEEP Supporting Member

I use an EHX bass Big Muff with the toggle switch set to dry and the gain and tone controls around 10 o clock. I have this on almost all the time and it gets me what I am looking for… Not to crunchy but just a slight bit of texture on the attack and a slight increase in sustain. I am also primarily playing p basses through an svt3- pro.

Good luck in the search.

Mike.
  10. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Supporting Member

There's an easy ODB-3 mod makes the pedal usable as a subtle OD and still capable of some outrageous distortion with far more transparent tone than the original. Search ODB-3 Mod.

Also there was a great thread here of John_K's OD quest with lots of clips. I can't seem to find it now.
  11. monkeybass68

Now this sounds like what I'm talking about! Thanks Mike, I gotta check it out!!!
  12. monkeybass68

Just to be clear, u mean the Big Muff Pi, right? If so, did u mean the sustain & tone controls set to 10 o'clock?
  13. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I use the Big Muff for the nasty stuff, like I assume you're using the Pigtronix for. When I was looking for some warm and subtle overdrive, I tried a bunch of pedals, and ended up going home with a Home Brew Electronics Hematoma Bass Overdrive. It can also get more aggressive tones, but I use it primarily the way you're looking to use an OD. They go about $200 new; I got mine used for about half that.
  14. mhandley16

mhandley16

I was wondering about this. I just tried it with mine (I had one sitting around because I used to primarily play guitar). I dialed the distortion all the way down the level all the way up and the tone around noon. Actually got a pretty good driven sound out of it. may try it out in my loop and see how it sounds.
  15. bassboysam

bassboysam

these were clips of the OSD i recorded a while ago.

first clip is OSD on it's own in lower gain settings, the second clip is the OSD in a band mix using my preferred setting (tone at 2 o'clock, gain at 9:30 switch on low pass.

for both clips i'm pretty sure I used a 4001 Ric with La Bella steels into the OSD and then a Tone Hammer DI to Soundforge.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  16. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member