1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bass Overpowering!

Discussion in 'Ask Tony Grey' started by MrHoppus, Mar 9, 2014.

1. MrHoppus

MrHoppus

Hi, im having a problem when playing lower notes on my bass, mainly the low E string. I play a passive fender precison bass and play with a pick so it can get a bit agressive at times. The low notes just seem to build up and shake the room, i have used a Boss LMB, it tames the low notes, but then breaks out of the threshold and goes nuts again...any ideas on what i can use to try and tame my bass a bit, a compressor maybe? thanks!
  2. tony grey

tony grey Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsements; Yamaha, Fodera, Aguilar, TC Electronic, Peterson, Zoom
    What about your tone settings? and pickup selection back front or a mix of the 2?
    Also where are you striking the string? You should really experiment with different positions and see what sounds you get. Maybe you strike the E string in a different position.
    You shouldn't need effects to make a balanced sound.
    Also what settings does your amp have and are the strings new/old?
    Let me know how you get on.