Bass pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by GeneralElectric, Nov 11, 2008.

1. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric Supporting Member

Howdy everyone,

I was wondering if people still make bass pedals? Its an analog floor unit that has 8 giant piano key foot pedals to play the bass notes. Its all you need, just push down the pedal, and that note would play.

It looks like this, but not MIDI.

http://www.musiciansbuy.com/mmMBCOM/images/roland_pk5a.jpg

Do they still make the old school ones?
  2. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

I see 'em on church organs all the time. Ray Manzarek is the Jaco of bass pedals
  3. GeneralElectric

I've used them before, and the one I used was pretty old.

I've seen them on church organs and a few Hammond type organs before.
  4. RCCollins

Seriously though, the pedals have to be attached or connected to some kind of sound module. Outside of organs, I imagine you're thinking of a synth like the Moog Taurus.

The midi ones can be connected to an analog synth module and the sound should be pretty darn old school.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GeneralElectric

I'm thinking it might've been a synth with the bass pedals. I remember it sounding pretty warm, and woody, and very upright bass sounding.

I've never used MIDI before and I don't have a ton of money to spend on it.
  7. GeneralElectric

8. newbold

newbold

why non-midi...you need analog?

Marc Friedman of the Slip uses them from time to time.

Great tool at your disposal, those bass pedals are.
  9. RCCollins

So if you read that, I'm guessing you skipped the first paragraph?

An old-school analog like the Taurus will cost you a pretty penny; these days midi control pedals are the clear choice and you get to play the synth sounds of your choice with your synth module or computer

midi is just a control system, current analog synths often have midi i/o, it's just a way to transmit the control signal
  10. keb

keb

There was a bass pedal thread a while back where it was mentioned that there is someone who still makes an analog bass pedal synth, though the unit doesn't actually use pedals and instead uses buttons like you would see on an arcade game... still, I imagine it gets the job done.

A few years back, Moog Music ran a poll (or something) for what they should come out with and they got a huge response for a new Taurus synth. It would be damned sweet if they did, but bass pedals are such a niche item that I imagine it would be hard to recoup the cost of designing and manufacturing such an item these days, especially for a small company like Moog.
  11. AndyLES

AndyLES

I worked as the production coordinator for Moogfest 2006 in NYC. I spoke directly to a product manager for Moog about the Taurus; he said that they've tossed around the idea, but that the circuit is too expensive to build at an affordable pricepoint that would justify it's production. That, plus the fact that it's such a niche product, as you said, and...well...no Taurus anytime soon. :rollno:

As of now, there's a guy on the NYC Craigslist selling a set for $2K, BTW.

Regarding the other, newer model on the other thread - the BASYNTH - I emailed the manufacturer twice to get more info but no response.
  12. Akeris

Akeris

http://www.basyn.com

That's the only one that's fully analog and currently made that I know of. Never played em and don't know much about them, but it seems to be where I'm headed in my bass pedal quest. :)
  13. Geddy Claypool

Geddy Claypool SX J-75/Traben Neo 4 -> SVT-CL/SVT-810E

Yeah, I suspect you want a Taurus. You can go the MIDI route, but IMO you're not going to get the same warm, fat bass as you would get from the Taurus, supposedly the "thickest bass ever", according to an old Moog ad.

Only trouble is, they're a bit expensive. I believe you can get them on ebay for $2000 or so.
  14. GeneralElectric

The one I used to have just had a few simple controls with the foot pedals.

Volume, treble, bass, and warmth (you'd crank it for distortion) with a 1/4 inch jack to connect to an amplifier. I dunno if it was originally a Moog though as it was just a plain silver case beat to hell and it had wooden pedals.
  15. GeneralElectric

I'm scared of MIDI :p In all honesty, I've never used it before, but I've always been disappointed by MIDI sounds that I've heard. Someone also told me I'd need a computer to use it.:meh:
  16. kevteop

kevteop

MIDI doesn't actually "sound" like anything, it's just a set of instructions. If you send those instructions to a synth that sounds bad, you'll get bad noises.

You also wouldn't need a computer. Well, not in the format you're thinking. You can get MIDI to CV converters (which I suppose are a form of computer) so you could use a MIDI controller to play old analogue synths, assuming they've got CV inputs.
  17. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

The new zoom B9.1ut has a pedal synth effect, where you can use 7 or 8 (I think) of the stomp buttons to trigger the synth tones. You can pick from numerous scales and keys, and you can play your bass over the top. You can also set the stomp buttons to hold the note or not after hitting them.

Of course you are limited to the synth tone built in, but the unit does have midi, so you may be able to hook it up to an external tone generator.

Of course, it's not the same us using proper organ pedals, the buttons being considerably smaller and with a more 'positive' action requiriing more force than the organ pedals, but if it's only for a couple of tunes, it may get you out of a hole. Possibly cheaper too, and a wealth of pretty decent fx to boot.
  18. AndyLES

AndyLES

That's the one I'm talking about...they never returned my emails.

Pardon me, but I'd be a little concerned with sending them money.
  19. RCCollins

Useful stuff but it's been mentioned already. also, current production analog synths can usually take midi commands, so for most purposes the CV control is irrelevant.

Wrap your head around this, General: MIDI is a control system, it sends instructions from one piece of hardware to another. MIDI does NOT mean you'll be using digital effects.

A reasonably cost effective route to achieve analog synth bass pedal tones would be a Yamaha/Roland/whatever pedal MIDI controller with a Dave Smith MoPho analog synth module (Prophet 08 in a box). This should be doable for 800 bucks or less if you shop around.

Not cheap but much cheaper than a Taurus...
  20. judas jedermann

judas jedermann

I use vintage Crumar bass pedals. I put Korg G5 after it. I bought Crumar for 150 euros. Combination Crumar + G5 delivers Taurus-like massive sweeps and lot more (G5 has 9 presets). I guess Digitech bass synth wah could do it too with Crumar.

[​IMG]
  21. Bassman316

Bassman316

I've seen a video somewhere on the internet where a guy is interviewing Bob Moog and of course, they touch base on the Moog Taurus, and how they're considered this rare item that despite its niche status, is coveted among many musicians. Bob countered that the materials needed to put the Taurus back into production, mostly the circuit boards, are much to hard to come by and are too expensive.