Bass/pickup for this type of tone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FloydianPT, Feb 13, 2014.

1. FloydianPT

FloydianPT

Hey guys,

First of all, sorry if this isn't being posted in the right section, I didn't know if I should post this here or in the Pickups forum.

Anyways, I'd like to ask you guys if could help me out with a tone related question. I'm trying to figure out which bass I should get when I make the "leap" and get a "real" bass, and it's either going to be a Fender Precision or a Jazz (I currently have a Squier P).

To help me decide I would like to know if anyone could help me by telling me how to achieve the kind of bass tones like the ones in these 70s portuguese prog rock jems:

I know for a fact that both albums were recorded with a Fender Jazz, but I prefer the body of a Precision, so is there any way to get close to this tone with a Precision or do I really need to get a Jazz?

Thanks, and sorry for the trouble!
  2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I think you answered your own question. You'll need a J to get that tone.

No, a P bass will not sound like a J.
  3. FloydianPT

FloydianPT

I see. Do you think a P/J could get me close enough?
  4. bassgod0dmw

A PJ is way more P than J, but a different animal than either.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FloydianPT

FloydianPT

I understand. Thank you very much for the help, I guess I'll just try them both when the time comes and decide which one fits me best :)
  7. bassgod0dmw

That's certainly the best thing to do. I wouldn't worry too much about swapping pickups just yet. Also keep in mind that strings play a huge role in tone as well, so finding the right set can be crucial in finding that elusive tone.
  8. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Supporting Member

I don't know why out of all their pickup configurations, Fender hasn't figured out that a JJ setup on the smaller P body would be smart.

Floydian - you could get yourself a Precision that you like, then make a new pickguard to replace the P pickup with another J. I'm doing that now.
  9. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola Supporting Member

build a warmoth for the price of a new Fender Jazz and it can have a P body with JJ pick ups. like this one.

[​IMG]