1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bass/pickup for this type of tone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FloydianPT, Feb 13, 2014.

1. FloydianPT

FloydianPT

Hey guys,

First of all, sorry if this isn't being posted in the right section, I didn't know if I should post this here or in the Pickups forum.

Anyways, I'd like to ask you guys if could help me out with a tone related question. I'm trying to figure out which bass I should get when I make the "leap" and get a "real" bass, and it's either going to be a Fender Precision or a Jazz (I currently have a Squier P).

To help me decide I would like to know if anyone could help me by telling me how to achieve the kind of bass tones like the ones in these 70s portuguese prog rock jems:

I know for a fact that both albums were recorded with a Fender Jazz, but I prefer the body of a Precision, so is there any way to get close to this tone with a Precision or do I really need to get a Jazz?

Thanks, and sorry for the trouble!
  2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I think you answered your own question. You'll need a J to get that tone.

No, a P bass will not sound like a J.
  3. FloydianPT

FloydianPT

I see. Do you think a P/J could get me close enough?
  4. bassgod0dmw

A PJ is way more P than J, but a different animal than either.
  5. FloydianPT

FloydianPT

I understand. Thank you very much for the help, I guess I'll just try them both when the time comes and decide which one fits me best :)
  6. bassgod0dmw

That's certainly the best thing to do. I wouldn't worry too much about swapping pickups just yet. Also keep in mind that strings play a huge role in tone as well, so finding the right set can be crucial in finding that elusive tone.
  7. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Supporting Member

I don't know why out of all their pickup configurations, Fender hasn't figured out that a JJ setup on the smaller P body would be smart.

Floydian - you could get yourself a Precision that you like, then make a new pickguard to replace the P pickup with another J. I'm doing that now.
  8. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola Supporting Member

build a warmoth for the price of a new Fender Jazz and it can have a P body with JJ pick ups. like this one.

[​IMG]