1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bass Player but not a Musician

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Maz, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Maz

Maz

I am not a Musician. I don't play an instrument for a living. I can't read music. I'm not just a roots & fifths player but I don't have much music theory knowledge either. I'm ignorant about keys and timings, but I can hold it down with the right notes generally, and I'm told I understand rhythm. I'm just a bass player, and I'm not even sure about that since I quit my band.

I think the distinction is important, do you? How many of you are Bass players, but not musicians?
  2. joebar

joebar Supporting Member

I consider myself a musician first and a bassist second although I am a solid bassist.
  3. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

I'm a bass owner.
  4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Important why, and to whom?

I see what you are getting at, but as far as I know musician is not a registered profession with specific skills or skill levels. If you are on stage playing an instrument you are a musician. Maybe not a professional musician though, if it's not your main source of income.

Unless you play music in a professional capacity where you may need music theory and maybe academic credentials to get work and to be able to communicate efficiently with song writers, other musicians, producers etc, I don't see why it matters what you know and what label you put on your playing. Just play and have fun.

That's my take on it anyway.
  5. esa372

esa372 Supporting Member

I've seen "bands" that would make you eat those words... :eek:

Right - but that does not make one a musician. Just like shooting hoops in the park every Saturday does not make one an athlete.
  6. kai_ski

kai_ski Supporting Member

sig-worthy
  7. mellowinman

mellowinman

You may be a musician, and not realize it.
  8. powderfinger

powderfinger

@OP- if a hot chick asks you are you a musician, for the love of god say yes!
  9. JimK

JimK

That's about the way I feel...somehow, over these past 40 years, I have been able to play with some killer musicians (who may or may not have been killing on their chosen axe)...so I know I don't have it.
    When I was 17 (back when I thought I was good), I happened to see a younger Victor Wooten with his brothers.
    A bit later, a young Oteil Burbridge shows up in-town...another mind freak.
    About then, I thought it best to work on being an all-around musician vs. spending every waking moment trying to be a gunslinger bassist.
    You can be both (like Wooten/Burbridge)...I realized a long time ago that I am not that gifted.
  10. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Sure it does. Whether you're a good or bad musician, or a good or bad band, is another matter.

Bad analogy, I think. What it makes you is a basketball player.

I know what you mean, but it's the same as with for instance the label "photographer". It's not a registered profession, all it takes is holding a camera and snapping a picture to make you a photographer.

Having said this, I don't call myself a musician or a photographer, I like to prefix it with "hobby" or "amateur" to not pretend to be a professional.
  11. The Mouse

The Mouse

I have no musical training or knowledge of theory. I play live every week, both covers gigs and original music. It is my primary source of income and has been that way for over 20 years. Obviously I don't get the "reading" gigs but I get calls for everything else.

So I'm not sure what that makes me..
  12. jerrod

jerrod

If you play music you are a musician.
  13. jeremysmyth

jeremysmyth

"You can be both (like Wooten/Burbridge)...I realized a long time ago that I am not that gifted."

You don't have to be a great technician to be a great musician, but it sure helps. You don't have to be a good musician to be a good bassist, but it helps.

When I was starting out in music, I remember hanging out with a bandmate and paying large amounts of attention to his older sister, who was an accomplished and quite skilled pianist with many exams, certificates, and accolades. Put a sheet of music in front of her and she could play it like she was born to do it. She, in turn, was envious of our band and its members because we could *jam* and *improvise*, and we could listen to a theme she played and riff off it and make good music, all things that she could not do. Who, I ask, was the better musician?
  14. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

I have this discussion with my kids all the time. They are musicians. They read, they know theory, they do recitals, they know their scales and notes in the 3 octives of each of their instruments. I am a player. I can find a place to play with most any band and fill in. I do read (a little), charts mostly, but I can read music. I know roots and 5ths, I have learned minors, major 7ths and mixolidian. I have learned scales (mostly patterns though), but I am a player. I don't usually know why a note goes somewhere, but they sound good. That is what makes me a player not a musician
  15. MisterEd

MisterEd Supporting Member

You killed me!!... HA!... HA!... HA!... am not alone...
  16. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

I see a lot of things in this thread. Delusion, brain fapping (a LOT of brain fapping), respect, self deprecation, critics.
    I play music, it is fun do to. Not sure how much I care about the rest but very little for sure.
  17. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

This made me LOL!
  18. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

"I ain't an athlete, lady, I'm a baseball player." John Kruk
  19. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

According to my bandmates, I am an effects pedal player who uses the bass guitar as a controller for making spaceship noises.
  20. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

I don't think about it much. In recent years ive used the term musician which i'd deliberately kept from using for years but it might carry with it certain expectations which I do not meet.

I can't read music, I don't even know the notes i'm playing, I have a good ear, I can improvise to a certain extent (if you keep throwing key changes ill get lost...) and I think i'm fairly creative and alright at the songwriting thing (at least within my favored genre) which is 100% the reason why I picked an instrument to begin with. To write songs. Not to play professionally (I mean like studio musicians or gigging musicians) or play covers. I also play guitar and keyboard. Not terribly well, not too bad either. None of my favorite artists are great musicians...I mean, on a technical level or like..in terms of knowledge of theory and different genres.. I just wanted to do what they did. I've never had any ambition to learn theory and as for technique, just what I need to write the music I want to write (actually im a little technically better than what the music I write requires), I'm generally not that adventurous that i'll start playing styles of music I don't really care for.

So no I guess i'm not the kind of musician (if I am one at all..though i'm pretty sure the definition only implies that you be playing an instrument which I certainly do) to call on for any project or gig, im not very versatile, but I never wanted to be that. I mean I did try it for a bit, and it did work in the sense that, I didn't have problems finding bands that wanted me as bassist, but I found that too limiting and frustrating, to have so little input in the songwriting process. It made me resent being in a band really especially since i'm not that good socially that I felt comfortable expressing what I thought or wanted.