1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bass Player ID help

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by iriegnome, Jan 16, 2014.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

2 things - Who knows who this bassist is and what Fender he is playing? The tuners look really odd and I don't recognize the player at all.
    http://youtu.be/4b04jq7NB1s

2. Phe

Phe

Wikipedia says he's Arthur Barrow (who has quite respectable CV! Frank Zappa, The Doors, Joe Cocker, Diana Ross, Janet Jackson, Billy Idol, Keith Emerson etc.) and he seems to playing Fender Jazz bass (bought used, as his homepage tells me).

3. Phe

Phe

4. iriegnome

But in that video, it isn't a Jazz he is playing. It is a Pbass.. It has a white fully covered split pickup, but the cover is very square.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. iriegnome

I was able to do a screen capture of the bass. I really don't think that is a Pbass.

Attached Files:

7. Phe

Phe

Yeah, that's a P-bass.

8. iriegnome

But the tuners look odd...

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      35.7 KB
      Views:
  9. Phe

Phe

Maybe it's not Fender, then. The headstock looks odd too. C'mon, would somebody weight in on this! I'm sure there is people here who can recognize this bass from the headstock alone.

10. Radio Face

Radio Face

Bass, what bass? Oh, sorry, he's playing a Fender Elite 1 P Bass. I have the Elite 2, in the same color.

11. thedovewarlord

thedovewarlord

Jusdging by the two screen grabs I was able to get, looks a hella lot like a Fender Precision, note the white pickup covers. Are these relacements?

Attached Files:

12. thedovewarlord

thedovewarlord

Radio Face -- I stand down. You have this bass, I was guessing, though what's the difference between P and Elite? Is it something special about the pickups? OOh not a fan of this song and I saw Joe Cocker warm up for Stevie Ray Vaughn before he passed. Always been a fan of his early stuff... this 9 1/2 weeks soundtrack era though... uhmmm not my taste... but you do find great bass in all forms of music. I listen to CBS 101 and hear lots of great stuff