1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bass Player Live 2011 MANY PICTURES of BASSES

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zuma, Oct 23, 2011.

1. zuma

zuma Supporting Member

Enjoy.

The new G&L M2000 and M2500 basses and a few other G&Ls:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the right, the new Emperor 5 Standard:
    [​IMG]

This one's for you JimmyM:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This amp is so freakin' cool!:
    [​IMG]

Picture came out blurry but I love these 3 guys next to each other:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't know who this was but he was pretty damn good:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one is for my brother Moduman:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Custom shop "La Cabronita" bass. I played this one through their new Super Bassman. Punch City.
    [​IMG]

I have to say this amp also looked really freakin' cool.
    [​IMG]

"Dr. Licks," James Jamerson Jr., Phil Chen (he talks with a full on Jamaican accent!) and Pino Palladino (way taller than I thought he was)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This picture was another unfortunate blurry one but Larry is all class and I think this captures it:
    [​IMG]
  2. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Whats up with the G&L M series? I don't know anything about them.
  3. Donkb0y

Donkb0y

Nice...thanks for posting.
  4. zuma

zuma Supporting Member

I mentioned it in the G&L club thread...basically you're looking at a L2K with slightly less-hot MDF pickups and a completely new 3-band active preamp. The neck on the 5 string is reshaped as well. MUCH better than the old baseball bats of before.
  5. sps500

sps500

Thanks for the pics!
  6. drnknmstr

drnknmstr Supporting Member

Nice. I see me! Haha. Would you not agree that Larry Graham's clinic was worth the price of admission alone?

It was my all time favorite clinic out of the 3 BPLs I've been to.
  7. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

Subbed... Please post more pics people! I missed it this weekend due to family obligations.
  8. zuma

zuma Supporting Member

I really enjoyed Janek Gwizdala's clinic and Nathan Watts was fun last year...I don't remember who was the big draw in 2009 and I missed Bootsy in 2010 (can't remember why because I did attend) but YES, Larry was awesome. I had A LOT of fun. When he sang "I'm gonna add some bottom..." it was this crazy fullfillment/amazing/joyous thing for me as I have been listening to that for AGES. Then he busted out with Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin) and I was overjoyed. Definitely a HUGE influence on me and such a good soul.
  9. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works
    "Better" a bit subjective, don't ya think? My old (2000) L2500 had a thick neck; I grew very accustomed to it, rather fond of it, actually. So much so that I eventually sold my EBMM SR5 which had a relatively thin neck.

Then there's my 2003 L2500 with a neck that's on par with the thinnest necks I've ever played (about .75" front to back - measured with digital calipers). It's certainly WAY before the new M-series basses, so the neck shape has little to do with the name.

Different? Yes. Better or worse? I don't think so - too subjective and player-dependent.
  10. drnknmstr

drnknmstr Supporting Member

Don't forget Marcus sitting in and poking a lot of fun at him :)
  11. zuma

zuma Supporting Member

Definitely my opinion of course. I should mention I had an L1505 that was just outrageously thick and that's where my thoughts come from. So, that's really an opinion formed from one player on one particular bass. When I commented on how much better I liked this neck the G&L rep did admit that some of the late 90s 5 string necks were quite thick. Last thing I will say is that I love my Aria SB1000 neck and the classic thick profile of most Warwick necks so I am not completely against a nice thick neck. The L1505 I had was just way too thick for me.
  12. zuma

zuma Supporting Member

I actually have a new appreciation for Marcus as I really appreciate those with a great sense of humor. Man, he is pretty damn funky too. That was a killer jam they performed.
  13. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Phil Chen was born in Jamaica.
  14. zuma

zuma Supporting Member

Hey Jauqo, Sukop was there. Didn't he build one of your first ERBs? Yeah, Phil said he was born in Jamaica. I never knew that or heard him speak so I was a bit shocked. He has a great sense of humor that cat.
  15. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
  16. BassXgirl

BassXgirl

I might be getting my years mixed up, but I think Stanley Clarke was the big draw in 2009....or was that 2008. Hmmm...

Alex Al was pretty amazing a couple of years ago and Bootsy was funny as hell. LARRY was incredible and seeing him and and Marcus Miller jam together was...funky funky FUNKAY!
  17. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

Steve is a good friend of mine. But he's never built a bass for me nor have I ever owned one of his basses. (and yes he makes a killer bass).
  18. zuma

zuma Supporting Member

I thought 2009 was the first year of BP Live but what do I know?! :p
  19. BassXgirl

BassXgirl

Hi Jauqo! Long time!
  20. zuma

zuma Supporting Member

Hmmm, I just read an article about you a couple of days ago...must have got my strings crossed. ;)

Sukop's basses DO play like butter. I have to admit I am not a fan of the headstock shapes but damn is the playability off the charts! I feel so shallow. :rollno: