Bass Player Mag Review of ATK 805

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

Bass Player actually did a real review of this bass in the latest issue. I have to think that this new ATK is perfect. Even cooler is the fact that BP reports that is has 18mm spacing at the bridge! This corrects the one major shortcoming of the ATK besides weight. Darn it, I have to get one now!

2. El-Bob

El-Bob

Is the review available online?

3. Dr. Cheese

Probably not. I just got the new issue of Bass Player and Bass Gear in the mail today. I am trying to be disciplined and finish grading some book reviews before I really read both of them.

4. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit Supporting Member

Thanks for the info Doc - curious to hear what they have to say about it. It's a superb instrument - can't imagine they could find too much fault about it. :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dr. Cheese

About the only negative they mention was that they felt the B string could have felt tighter, but that a switch to .135 instead of a .130 string would help. I also suspect that a little set up tweaking can make all the difference when it comes to b strings too. All I can say is that I want one badly! I may be up to four basses in 2013, which is my all time high. I just hope I can avoid getting decked by my wife!:bag:

7. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

a real review in BP?????:eek:

8. Dr. Cheese

Yes, as opposed to a dressed up ad.;)

9. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

I loved the sound, the looks, the stability and the neck on my old ATK750 (KOA) but it was just too heavy. If they address that, it's a winner.

10. Dr. Cheese

The new ones seem to be averaging about 9 lbs.:hyper:

11. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit Supporting Member

Right - I find the B to be very nice. Are there better out there, I'm sure, but I've got no complaints. Every bit as good as the Fender "B" that was improved upon with the 2010 Deluxes (I used to own one). Also FWIW, I am running a .135 with good downward angle on the wraps. No complaints. :)

12. Bongolation

Bongolation

Unless things have drastically changed, I can't imagine Bass Player even being capable of producing a "real" review of an advertiser's product.

:rollno:

13. phillybass101

phillybass101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    It was a tough decision for me. a new Brute Single Cut or the 805. I went with the Brute but that 805 was calling my name fo sizzle.

14. Dr. Cheese

It's all good as long as you are happy!

15. phillybass101

phillybass101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    I'm cool. With the 3 way coil split I can get three different sounds at the flick of a switch. Using the rear coil on the MM with the front pickup I'm getting an awesome JB slap thing. I'm satisfied but if I had extra cash the 805 might still be mine.

16. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard

Is it active/passive or just active? If it could do the passive thing that would put it over the top. I would probably get that huge bridge piece "brushed" to tone down the finish of it in the middle of that dark walnut. But it looks like a really nice bass.

17. jlepre

jlepre

I like this bass, but can't deal with the headstock. It's just FUGLY! Sorry JMHO

18. devilman666

devilman666

Headstock kinda grew on me. Still may swap out the bigger tuners .

19. benthughes

benthughes Supporting Member

I got an 805 as part of a trade and initially didn't think much of it. I was after the Roscoe I traded for and this was icing on the cake. I figured it'd be a passable beater I wouldn't be afraid to thrash at gigs.

Initially the strings were dead but the bass still sounded good. The neck and string spacing is reminiscent of my G&L L-2500 , chunky front to back with fairly narrow spacing. The neck is nice and straight and the fretwork is good. I've never heard of CAP pickups ( proprietary Ibanez ) but they sound pretty good, authoritative low mid punch like Bart's but with a little more clarity and sizzle to the highs without getting Stingray clanky. The hardware is decent although I don't care for the bridge, I'd prefer something I could replace if I got the bug... I suppose you could on this but you'd be left with holes

I changed out the strings with some D'Addario XLs and it made all the difference in the world. Punchy and articulate without being harsh. I generally play pretty hard and like a little fret buzz when I attack the strings, this bass is prefect for that style. The 3 band EQ seems well voiced and useable without being overwhelming... I guess subtle and good for minor tweaks. Not sure where the mids are centered but they sound decent and lend to a good slap tone. My favorite feature is the3 way sele for for the bridge pickup which , to me, is more useful than the EQ. I'm not sure what it weighs but I'm pretty sure it's under 10lbs and balances well. Not a fan of the wood pick guard but that's just a nitpick.

For the price it's a lot of bass and very versatile. You can get punchy and aggressive rock tones out of it and easily mellow it out to cover pretty much anything. It can cop a reasonable Stingray vibe but doesn't quite capture the sizzle a Ray is known for.

Cons: some people don't dig narrow string spacing, I do.
    Non- replaceable bridge ( kinda)
    Tuners seem cheap, they're definitely passable and don't slip.
    Stock wiring would make replacing the pickups a hassle although I don't feel it would be necessary.
    String through body only
    Pickup pan is pretty extreme. And rotation forward or back almost completely isolates that pickup.

20. atomicdog

atomicdog Supporting Member

21. gadang

gadang

Just got mine tonight and played a gig. This thing plays well and sounds thunderous with clear highs and fat lows! I am very pleased with it!