bass players that use the eb-3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Jun 15, 2004.

1. fenderbluesdude

fenderbluesdude

which bass players use the gibson or epiphone eb-3 bass?
  2. Zemaitis

Zemaitis

I believe the late Allen Woody from Govt Mule and the Allman Brotheres band used them, along with a slew of other funky instruments (Gibson double neck bass/mandolin for one)
    He was definetly big on Gibsons and they had a big effect on earlier Mule stuff.
  3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Media:
  4. Adam C.T.

Adam C.T.

I would if i could find one in a 34" scale, do they make those? I love that SG look.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. brianrost

brianrost Supporting Member

Yes, Gibson made an EB-3L (for "long scale") from about 1972 to 1977. The current Epiphone EB3 is long scale, but the Epiphone "Elitist" EB3 is short scale.

Actually, a lot of bassists used the EB-3 in the late 60s or early 70s at one point but most abandoned them for something else (like a Fender!): Phil Lesh, Andy Fraser (Free), Pete Agnew (Nazareth), Dennis Dunaway (Alice Cooper), Glenn Cornick (Jethro Tull), John Perry (Caravan), Colin Pattenden (Manfred Mann's Earth Band), Bill Wyman...

I lusted for one for years. Then when I had the money to afford to buy one, I started checking them out and was pretty disappointed...look cool, sound so-so and playability varies widely, some have necks so skinny I can't play them!

I ended up getting a Kalamazoo bass, which is a bolt-on neck version of the Gibson EB-0 sold as a student model in the 60s. It satisfied my Gibson jones and is a fun bass to play when I can use the sludge tone it dishes out.
  7. fenderbluesdude

fenderbluesdude

yea i love the look of the sg bass but hate a shortsclale bass. epiphone now makes a eb-3 bass that has block inlays it is long scale the neck is thin like a jazz neck and it is just cool looking bass its 399 at musiciansfriend.com
  8. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

It's neck heavy.. and slappage sounds like ass.. I know you say "I won't slap".. But you will hear the call of the funkiton sooner or later.
  9. fenderbluesdude

fenderbluesdude

trust me im not going to do slap!

all i want is a deep fat tone.

i play blues and rock and some funk, and if you say that i need to do slap to play funk your wrong, i just need a bass were i can groove on.
  10. fenderbluesdude

fenderbluesdude

11. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

That is why you need more than one bass....
  12. DW

DW

AFAIK it's a decent bass for the price but don't confuse it with a real Gibson EB-3. It's not genuine mahogany and it's not the same pickup except in outward looks. And real EB-3s, long or short, have necks that are narrow across but thick front to back. And no block inlays!

And although I've played an EB-0L for years, the longscale EB-3L and EB-0L never sold well. The regular shortscale versions made before 1972 are the most sought after. The shortscale Elitist EB-3 comes closest to that.
  13. DW

DW

Not in a million years, pal.

And mention of "slap" and "Gibson" in the same thread ought to be a felony.
  14. hieronymous

hieronymous

If you want to hear classic EB-3 check out Andy Fraser and Free. The album Fire and Water has his classic bass solo in "Mr. Big" as well as "All Right Now". The Molten Gold 2-disk set is great too - it has an extended version of "The Stealer" that is amazing, though it has a live version of "Mr. Big" that IMO isn't as good as the studio version.

The booklet for Molten Gold has a picture of him playing an EB-2D - at least I think that's the model number for a 2 pickup EB-2, which looks more like an ES-335. But Fraser was generally known for playing the EB-3. For those that say that the sound of the EB-3 sucks, I say, listen to Free first!!!
  15. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mike Watt's been playing an EB-3 as his main live bass for the last few years. He added a preamp to it; I can't remember what type offhand, but I'm sure a search of his Talkbass forum will reveal it).

Personally, I love that big fat EB-3 tone. It's not for everyone, and it's not for everything, but if you want the thud, the whole thud and nothing but the thud, it's there.
  16. lonote

lonote

If you are only going to own 1 bass, it shouldn't be an EB-3. An EB-3 is very limited as far as what tone you can get out of it.
  17. brianrost

brianrost Supporting Member

It's not a thud so much as an ooze :D

What bugs me about the Gibson pickups are they remove the attack of the note, percussive playing is nearly impossible as there is no "edge" to the note.

My Kalamazoo sounds real twangy and snappy unplugged, the pickup totally obliterates the acoustic tone.

It IS a great sound but if you want to play fingerstyle funk with muting and ghost notes it aint gonna work.

FWIW, the stock pickups in Watt's EB-3 have been swapped out.
  18. lonote

lonote

The bridge pickup in the EB-3 adds a little bite when compared to an EB-0, but nowhere near enough. The neck pickup just spews too much inarticulate mud. There are a lot of basses out there that can deliver the "thud" but are capable of much more.
  19. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

20. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat

If I ever consider buying a Gibson bass, somebody slap me.

or

I'd slap the $hi+ out of a Gibson...slap it silly. Feel the fonk blast!

/all in good, clean fun.
  21. fenderbluesdude

fenderbluesdude

all the eb-3s that you guys are talking about is the old gibsons i wouldnt mind having one but im not going to spend more thand 500 bucks, i just want to know what the epiphone eb-3s sound like, NOT the elitists! just the reagular epiphone eb-3 long scale has block inlays and is 399. some people say that the epiphone has a alot less thud and it is more smoother than the older ones.