1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bass Pod or Darkglass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by oniman7, Mar 29, 2014.

1. oniman7

oniman7

My current set up is an EBMM Stingray 5H strung with Circle K strings. I run it into an Acoustic B200 or a Gallien Krueger set up. I have a Sansamp which has been nice but it hasn't felt like enough.

I'm looking for something to boost and fatten the signal at times while adding some presence. In the two songs linked below, I find my bass to be either nasally when I'm going for smoothness or clanky when I try to push it into the presence I'm looking for. It's more of a studio problem than a live problem, but my live tone could definitely benefit as well.

We're looking to produce an album that could be considered at least a high quality demo. The music is kind of alternative metal with some progressive elements that we've been adding more of as we go along.

What I'm looking for is a fuller, more treated sound. Whether it's low and thuddy or present with a lot of attack, I feel like I'm compromising on all of my sounds right now. While there are a good number of songs where I could use overdrive, I rarely use full distortion and almost never touch fuzz. I do need to dial in different tones for different songs but they're all within a relative range - I don't need the P bass with 30 year old flats sound or the Fieldy slap sound, for two extreme examples.

I can put away a little bit of money and save up for whichever I need. My whole band are big Line 6 fans. They use the Line 6 amps developed with Bogner and use the attach pedals as their entire effects interface. We've been very pleased with the results and just had a conversation about what we could do to get the bass up to the same kind of sound and presence which prompted my consideration on this.

The Pod, especially in an XT or other, will do a lot more things and it's a lot cheaper. The Darkglass will only do one thing, but I feel like it's the best of it's kind and is the overdrive that I want, but I don't know what it can do about the rest of my sound. It's also a lot more expensive.

Given the two, which would you choose first?

Here are the promised links to the two songs we have for listening https://www.facebook.com/amatterofhonor/app_2405167945

2. deeptubes

deeptubes

I have the rack mounted XT Pro and Longboard. I think it's rather impressive, even though I almost never use it. I primarily used it when I worked on the road as a headphone amp and to record. The learning curve with it is pretty steep. But, you'd be surrounded by guys familiar with their stuff, so you'd have a guide. The modelling can really affect the your tones. Whether or not it changes the tone to something more suitable for you is up to your ears. According to the Bass Player Jan. 2014 issue, Robert DeLeo uses one. An aspect about it that I think is really cool is the fact that I can plug it in to my computer and record. Then, after the fact, I can instantly change amp and cab models and add/remove/tweak effects, which may be very helpful with you figuring out what is or isn't working for you. With all of its diversity, I would think you'd eventually find what you need.

Good luck!

3. BassookaTuete

BassookaTuete

I would recommend a Pod X3. You can biamp a bass amp with a guitar amp. My preference is a GK sim for the low end and a gnarly Diezel Herbert for the upper mid and high drive.