1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

bass practice software similar to Fender B-DEC 30

Discussion in 'Ask David Overthrow' started by mksmith, Jul 12, 2007.

1. mksmith

mksmith

David,

I'm looking for bass practice loop software similar to the built in functionality of the Fender B-DEC 30. I would like to have variety of styles of music, the ability to adjust the tempo, and control what loop instruments are muted.

Does any such software exist?

Thanks,

Mark
  2. warnergt

warnergt

If you have a Mac, I recommend Logic Express 8 (or Logic Pro if you have the money). If you have a Windows PC, I can recommend Guitar Pro. I have a B-DEC 30 which I use almost every day and I use Logic almost every day for exactly what you describe. I occasionally use Guitar Pro; it has the functinoality you are looking for but I really, really love Logic (by Apple).

Specifically, here is what I do with this program (this process applies to both Logic and Guitar Pro). When I want to learn a new tune, I Google for the tune name and "MIDI." If it is a somewhat popular tune, you can probably find it in MIDI form (".mid" file) on the Internet. I just drop the MIDI file into either of these programs and it breaks it down by instrument and will simultaneously display the sheet music and tablature. You can mute the bass line ('M' button on Logic) and play along with the other instruments while reading the score or tab. You can also listen to the bass line only with the solo button ('S' on Logic) so you can better hear what it going on with the bass line. You can even change the tempo so you can learn it at a slower speed then work yourself up to regular speed.

It's a friggen' cool program and I've put together a growing repertoire of tunes which I practice with most every night.

Logic and Guitar Pro can display and print the score with tablature so no matter how you play (with score or tab) you are covered. This combination also can help you improve your music reading skills if you've grown a little too accustomed to tab. Furthermore, both of the programs can output the music as MIDI files (this creates other possibilities I won't go into here). GarageBand has similar capabilities except it doesn't display or print tablature and can't output MIDI files.

See screen shot of Logic (Pro) below.

[​IMG]
  3. mksmith

mksmith

Thanks for the great input. I have a PC so I will have to go that route. Perhaps I can coordinate with you on your library of tunes. I'm sure some have really taken you to the next level in your playing.

Mark
  4. needmoney

needmoney

I totally never though of that idea of searching for the Midi files on the net! Duh! Wonder If I could do that with Garageband too... I don't see why not :)

Man, Logic looks yummy.. GAS!
  5. avid

avid born lefty

Wow, that look really great. Now I will have a B-Dec, Tascam MP-BT1 mp3 and Logic Express on my iMac. Oh yeah!:hyper:
  6. warnergt

warnergt

You can do that with Garageband but the big difference is that you can't display or print tablature. At least the latest version of Garageband (the '08 version) allows you to print scores. The previous version didn't do that.

By the way, for those with Logic (Express or Pro), I've put together a description of how to display tablature and manipulate it to the desired strings. Apple doesn't document this well so I've got something that will help. I will post it to the tablature section TalkBass Tablature Forum
  7. needmoney

needmoney

That's cool, I don't use tab. My version of Garageband shows notation when you input a midi thing, but nowhere near the detail of that Logic version. Man oh man.
  8. kdlunde

kdlunde Guest

What are the differences between Logic Express 8 and Logic Pro? Basically, just looking to see what the extra $300 buys me, and whether it's worth it. If Logic Express 8 can do what you describe above, then that's probably all I need. Thanks!
  9. kdlunde

kdlunde Guest

bump
  10. ksandvik

ksandvik

If you are only interested in recording and playback, then Logic Express 8 is fine. The studio bundle adds in more effects and software synths, as well as additional audio tools. Compare the two, the web site over at:

http://www.apple.com/logicexpress/
    http://www.apple.com/logic/

If you see something you really need in logic, then go with that one, otherwise Logic Express is OK. Not that you could even achieve what this topic is about using Garageband - open Garageband, drag a midi file into it (same with logic or logic express) and you have something with default instruments you could use for practice. --Kent
  11. Kevbroce

Kevbroce

Google band-in-a-box. It's an excellent tool for practicing. You can input chord progressions and it'll write the music itself, surprisingly well. Add in the real drums package and your playing along with studio drum recordings. I've found a bunch of songs online. They have a free demo as well.
  12. Dave Overthrow

Dave Overthrow

Although I use notational software for writing purposes and Band In A Box as a teaching tool, I've been too busy playing to keep up with all of the available software that can be used for practicing purposes. Looks like you guys have it covered!
  13. steeleyes

steeleyes

Wow!! Im new to Talk Bass but boy am I happy to be here.
    Listen I was wondering if the softwear your talking about is also good for helping me learn to read music and if so do you have any suggestion on songs or program add ons to hlep with the process?
    Thanks much
    Steel
  14. baddarryl

baddarryl

David
    I am using Guitar Pro on my older WinPc. Have you ever heard of it getting stuck in Relative Tempo mode where a user can't revert back to normal? I have had this problem and the only way to correct was to restart the program. The guys at Guitar Pro just told me to reinstall and that didn't help. Anyone heard of a patch to fix this?
    This is a great board btw. Thank you.
  15. bluesbass99

bluesbass99 Gold Supporting Member

Thanks a million for the information on Guitar Pro. I knew it was out there but really knew very little about how powerful it was unitl I read you post. I tried out the demo and immediately bought it. What a great tool!
  16. tunerbass71

tunerbass71

Tux Guitar is also a alternative to guiter pro and its free
  17. DaZombieWoof

DaZombieWoof

Seems that Logic Express would do what I want and I more than have what they stae as config requirements on my Mac. The score detail is appealing. Does it allow scoring of individual tracks and does it do bass clef?
  18. JJBass2009

JJBass2009

That is just what I was looking for. First day and got lots of help. thanks guys
  19. factoryguy

factoryguy

The "Amazing Slow Downer" (ASD is a pretty good tempo adjuster and looper for $50. Not bad for learning a new tune or line.
  20. The Butler

The Butler

Thanks for the info on these programs.