Bass prices

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by klejst, Jan 12, 2014.

1. klejst

klejst

I have been on the hunt for a new bass the last week or so, something used but decent, however anyone else notice price increases in used basses? Sure perhaps local Craigslist people always want more then something is worth but I'm talking even in retail stores like Guitar Center for used gear. I just recently saw a used '95 Fender MIM Squier series Jazz bass that in good condition and they wanted $379.00 for it! I guess it's all in what it is exactly...or I am the one looking for the needle in the haystack now perhaps.

Sure times may be changed, hard and strange, but man I remember a couple years ago I was able to get a MIM Fender Precision standard used for around $250-300.
  2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I have bought MIMs for $150 CDN on multiple occasions, I can still easily find them for $250. Private sales only obviously, at a store I would expect to pay $400ish.
  3. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

Yeah, dealing with a company looking to make a profit the prices are almost always going to be steep. They may have even bought it off a guy either for what you expect to pay for (therefore they have to sell for more) or very cheap off someone desperate and still charge the steep price. With the interwebs they can find the same info you can, along with information they can find a million suckers to buy for the inflated price (I'll admit I've been one of those suckers on occassion)
  4. FourBanger

FourBanger

Compared to last winter the prices on GC used are higher, and the selection is a lot thinner. Probably related, I wonder if the market bottomed out and folks stopped selling to GC for the paltry prices they had been offering.
  5. leegreenman

leegreenman

Lots of good used deals at Guitar Center all the time. Decent set up and accurate description of condition seem to be the biggest issue with them. I've purchased many used items from them, but always in store. Never ordered from a location I couldn't visit.
  6. Relsom

Relsom

Everything is generally higher these days...BUT....I was in my local GC yesterday and saw they're selling Sterling Ray34's Ash/3TSB/Maple for $359. New, not used. That looked to be an excellent deal that you may want to check out. Every now and then there are are still deals to be had. Good luck in your search.
  7. stanley00

stanley00

When it comes to MIM Fender Standards, the problem is that the older silver logo basses and the newer basses aren't the same. However, used prices are being determined by what a new, current 2014 MIM Standard models sell for new. Just because there is a price increase it doesn't automatically make the older ones more valuable. That's just an overly optimistic pricing strategy used to take advantage of those who aren't well informed.
  8. frankieC

frankieC A swell guy from Warren Harding High Supporting Member

I agree.
    Another thing that I don't like about the GC is that when you buy a bass, they don't throw in a set up. Many of the smaller music stores give that to you at no extra charge.
    ...and pricing for the instrument is comparable.
  9. pfox14

pfox14

I got a used MIM Fender Jazz 5 on eBay for half the price of a new one. There are still bargains to be had if you look hard enough.
  10. xroads

xroads

Patience is king when buying used. Wait until something pops up.
  11. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Depends on the GC, I suppose. I went into a GC not long ago to sell an instrument. The buyer didn't like the action, and the GC tech set up the bass for free. It was *my* instrument, not GC's, and the tech knew it.
  12. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

Guitar Center still has quite a few MIM basses under $300. How about a Blacktop P bass for $299?
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/-i3594031.gc

Here's a P-Bass for $274
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-FENDER-P-BASS-MADE-IN-MEXICO-109804371-i3587391.gc

Craigslist is a crapshoot, but good deals can be had. I bought a MIM Fender Jazz V string for $160 in perfect condition as in zero scratches at all. Now, this depends where you live of course as the state of the local economy drives the demand and pricing.

so gems can be had if you're willing to look... so for anyone near Cleveland, here's a heads up...there's a gem of a bass on CL. it is rare, Blue book value of this bass is $1000-$2500, a short-scale Rickenbacker copy, pretty cool. :)
    http://cleveland.craigslist.org/msg/4244888483.html
  13. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

yeah I can find used MIM fenders (not Squires) for around $300 pretty much all the time.