1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bass Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pica, Nov 28, 2013.

1. pica

pica Supporting Member

With all the different bass manufacturers and all the different makers of pick-ups, is there really a difference in sound between basses or do all basses pretty much sound the same? Just curious.
  2. David Hayes

David Hayes Guest

Many, MANY massive differences.
  3. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

4. mapleglo

mapleglo Supporting Member

The differences can be astronomical.
  5. milkman-27

milkman-27

I have three different basses from three different companies and all three sound different.
  6. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Supporting Member

... But they all sound like bass guitars
  7. milkman-27

milkman-27

Yes............they do.
  8. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

among bassists, all the nuances sound vastly different.
    among the rest of the world, as my band director has told me, "bass is bass"
  9. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Different basses may sound vastly different form each other, anything form a dull low pitched thud, to a treble only high pitched scream, playing the same note.
  10. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Count me in with this school of thought. IMHO, while the differences in bass sounds can be large and different, most sounds can do most of the work. In other words, a musical context has to be very specific for the general public (or even a lot of non bass playing musicians) to wish for something different. The bottom line is a good quality P-bass can do 95% of what is needed, with the basic choice of flat or round wound strings making the real difference.

That said, I firmly believe that the bass tone is extremely important for the bass player to be comfortable with their work and play their best. And that might mean some searching for the right bass/string combination.
  11. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

In the same way that a Gibson Les Paul doesn't sound like a Fender Stratocaster, a Gibson Eb0 doesn't sound like a Fender Jazz bass, and sometimes the difference is much more dynamic than that comparison.
  12. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

And while many basses sound very different from each other, you can still get close to any given tone or sound on most of them with a few knob adjustments, as well as playing technique.
  13. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

Its crazy how many different sounding basses there is out there. One company does stand out above all the rest????????????.
  14. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Your right Marko, in my head even my Pbass is a world away from my Jbass, but probably not to someone in the audience.
  15. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Stone, that question could be asked about electric guitar too, the answer would be no.
  16. Skeeter1

Skeeter1

I explain it to my wife that basses (and guitars for that matter) are like apples. By definition they are all at their core the same and their flavor or sound is that of an apple. But their are differences in flavor and texture that make one or the other more suitable for the purpose. Like Granny Smiths are good for cooking, or Red Delicious are sweeter whereas Fiji is a little firmer textured.
  17. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Please don't hate me......... cause I understand why people would buy it, ... a Fodera Emporer Deluxe goes around $11,000.00 dollars, and a SX Ursa2 is around $170.00 dollars, both new, and people buy both, and ...yeh, both sound like bass guitars
  18. sonicblue62

sonicblue62 Supporting Member

An old Toyota and a Ferrari will both get you from point A to point B too. I would personally go with the Toyota, but that doesn't mean that Ferrari lovers can't go with their transportation of choice (if they can afford it).;)