Bass question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Crookedwoody, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Crookedwoody

Crookedwoody

Hello from Missouri. New guy here.

I have a question that I hope you guys and gals can help me with.

I quit playing gigs around 1990 and my son (22 years old now) has all my old gear. I haven't played bass in several years.

I would like to buy a bass for personal use only to go with a small 2x10 amp. I'm so far out of the loop, I don't know where to begin.

The nicest bass I ever had the opportunity to play was an Alembic that a friend of mine had when his band let my band set in for a few songs.

Another friend of mine had an SD Curlee bass I played quite a lot that sounded pretty awesome.

Is there a newer bass on the market that has similar sound charictoristics to an Alembic or the old Curlee, but with a lower price tag?

I don't have any plans to play live anymore but I would really like to have a great sounding bass like the ones I've mentioned from the past but I don't won't to spend a bunch of cash since I won't be making any $ in return. :help:

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. rekesbass

rekesbass

my only suggestion is to go to a store and try a few that are in your price range..there are sooooo many options at many price points out there today..the Alembic sound may be asking a bit much on the lower priced instruments(high end active pups and electronics don't come cheap)..and, didn't S.D Curlee use passive p bass pick ups ??...maybe start with a bass that has a p bass pup.

giving more info will help with suggestions..what type of music do you play ? or what type of a sound are you looking for ? (is there a famous players sound you like ?)
    what is your budget?..

3. Crookedwoody

Crookedwoody

Thanks for the reply. The basses I had ( my son now has) are a 1984 Hamer Savage passive pickups, Ibenez P bass style passive pups, Washburn P bass style active and my main bass was a 1987 Peavey Dyna bass with active pups, which I really liked. The Peavey was my weekend warrior.

The old Curlee basses had nice sounding Dimarzio's but they are a more expensive than I thought. A new one has a MRSP of $ $2,250.

I've been watching Ebay looking for an Alembic for the last few weeks but haven't really found any deals. I would like to stay around $800 since it will just be used for fun.

I live in a rural area now and there are no guitar shops nearby with any any real selection to look at. I haven't played much in several years and I'm about 20 years behind.

4. malthumb

malthumb Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You could always try to find one of the Fernandes models that copied the Alembic look and hardware. Can't say whether or not it comes close on tone. Seriously doubt you'll find anything Alembic in playable condition for under $1,200 (some pre-loved Epic).

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GIBrat51

GIBrat51

I agree about the Alembic; have no experience with Fernandes, though. My only active bass is an Alembic Epic. How about a Carvin with active pickups (if thats the type of sound you're looking for)? They are usually very well made, but have a poor resale value. I got a 2 year old ,unplayed Carvin LB-20 for 1/3 of its initial cost, for example. Very nice bass.

7. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

I think your son should offer up your old Dynabass. Does he know you are looking to get back into playing? If he does, and isn't offering, he needs a lesson in filial piety.

Have you browsed the TB classifieds? Maybe something will jump out at you.

8. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    You should have no problem at all finding a used active DynaBass at well below the price point you mentioned.

9. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

With a budget of $800, you could also try finding the Kawai FIIB

[​IMG]

10. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

You can find Peavey Dyna's in great shape for $250 all day long. Put Alembic out of your mind. If $2,250 is too high, then most Alembics are out of your price range. The old Curlees had neck problems, so I'd steer clear of those.

What is your budget?

11. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

I would recommend going to GC and trying a few basses out. While you may not be able to afford an Alembic, you may be able to find newer basses that have some of the qualities that may have close to the sound you're seeking.
    Some of the high end Ibanez SR basses might do it for you. If your price range is $800 or less, buying used is a great option.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...E-PREMIUM-4-STRING-BASS-109793530-i3576802.gc

12. Crookedwoody

Crookedwoody

Thank's to all of you for your help. I can get my old dynabass or any of the others from my son because he's more into keyboards

13. Crookedwoody

Crookedwoody

Sorry my last post was cut short but I'm on an IPad and I'm not used to it. Again, thanks for the help. Now that most of my kids have graduated school and are graduating from colledge, I've had the urge to play some again. I will look at all the basses you've mentioned and hopefully find a good one used. Thanks again for the advise.

14. Henrythe8

Henrythe8

You can find some old Curlee's in the 500/800 price range. Just be sure that the neck is straight and the bass is in good condition. If you can find a "Curbeck" or "Yankee" model, that had a walnut/Maple body with a Maple/Walnut neck, they seem to have a more stable neck due to the wood lamination.

I just bought one and, yes, they sound great.

15. Crookedwoody

Crookedwoody

Thanks guys. I bought an Ibanez SR 300 for under 300. It is no Alembic but it sound is great with a hartke 3500 and an Ampeg 410.
    Tech has improved significantly over the past 20 years!

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It has in the lower end basses for sure.