1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bass rackmount gear and stompboxes

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ajw5299, Oct 3, 2013.

1. ajw5299

ajw5299

I've been playing bass for at least 5 years now. I'm starting to get serious with my playing and sound and I'm looking to upgrade my tone with some processing. I was planning to get some type of compressor and a type of EQ to shape my tone rather than using effects.

I was wondering, since I would most likely use a compressor and EQ as static effects (leave them on almost always) would it be worth it to save floor space and get a compressor and EQ in rackmount form? Or would it be better/cheaper with both in stompbox form? I am looking for a solid compressor that is pretty transparent to fatten up my bass sound and EQ for further tweaking.

I already have a Tech 21 Sansamp and that is in stompbox form, and I usually keep it on all the time. If there is a better option than the other, I would be on a tight budget either way. I have some experience using signal processing so ease of use really isn't a concern for me. Can someone help me out and lead me in the right direction?

Thank you,

Ajw5299

2. fleizenkruz

fleizenkruz

If you're really on a tight budget, I would suggest you to stick with the Sansamp. It's a good unit as it is.

But if you really want to upgrade, probably invest your money on a good amp. Good old Ampeg SVT or Mesa Carbine series probably, depends on your budget and taste. If I had those amps, I wouldn't worry about having another EQ unit or a compressor to "fatten up" the tone.

3. 6stringpanda

6stringpanda

Buy a Berhinger V-amp pro rack (170 new, cheap used) I have had mine for over 10 years and use it everyday. YOu can search on this site there are so many threads on this wonderful piece of gear.

4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Stick with floor pedals until you figure out what you really need. The rack units run at much higher level, they cost a lot more, and by the time you figure it all out you could be 80 years old and still broke.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. marmadaddy

marmadaddy

What Downunderwonder said, plus hauling around a rack can be a real PITA compared to a couple of pedals.

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

There is a ton of good industrial rack gear floating around cheap! Digital boards have obsoleted some great analog gear. EQ, comp, gate, effects units can be had for diddly squat these days... I will agree that hauling rack rigs for bass is in my past but... You can nail down a 31 band Rane for the cost of a stomp EQ or a multi band parametric for the same... Or a DbX 160 for the cost of a boo-teak stomp box... Want some chorus, reverb and maybe some flange ? How about a Lexicon MX200 for a hun...

Or local CL has plenty of that stuff... All I can say is ouch to my old analog rack mount PA stuff...

8. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

I have been thinking about this one.

I use a floorboard with a Korg Pitchblack, Boss CE-5 Chorus, Boss CS-3 Compressor, T-Rex fuel tank Junior and an MXR M80, which has just died.

These effects are always on, they just fatten the sound, add a bit of extra sustain with the compressor and the chorus adds a bit of extra colour and definition to the higher notes. The MXR, when it worked, tightened everything up a bit and was a good DI box as well.

What I am thinking of doing is having a sansamp RBI in a rack box with the CE-5, CS-3 and the Pitchblack.

This way I can avoid having a floorboard at all, some of the places we play are a bit cramped and since I don't actually stomp on the stomp boxes it makes sense to reclaim the floor space. It would not be too heavy and would just sit on top of the amp. Also, when I am using someone elses' bass amp I can keep my own sound.

9. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Or, just a thought, put your always on pedals on a rack shelf or drawer?