Bass Recommendations

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by k0 by ranger, Dec 17, 2013.

1. k0 by ranger

k0 by ranger

Hey so I'm a beginning bassist I've owned a Bronco series squire and I would like to purchase a new bass. The squire was okay in my opinion except it rarely ever stayed in tune and the sound from the strings sounded a little off even when tuned. So I'm looking for bass recommendations under $800. I play alternative rock and punk rock music on my bass so I would prefer a base that's good for that kind of music. Thanks in advance.
  2. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

Try a different ste of strings first. There's nothing wrong with a well adjusted Squier Bronco. I don't know what is appropriate for alternative rock, but for punk, you would want the cheapest, nastiest, most ratted out instrument you can get. Preferably spray painted flat black by a person with no skill or ability to operate a spray can.
  3. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

look used for a good MIA fender P bass, If that does not work go to a fender MIM or CV Squiers.
    Alt rock and Punk sound great with a P bass and rounds cranked up. Don't look to a fancy active bass and all keep it simple and rock out.
  4. GretschBassist

GretschBassist Supporting Member

For a beginner with a certain taste, the Gretsch Junior Jet (Link | Street price is about $300) is kinda sweet as is sounds "almost adult", got one for my friends son and he LOVES it. It's a short scale, perfect for beginners and/or people with smaller hands.
  5. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

For punk rock, I would think a Fender P-bass would be ideal (I'm not a punk rocker by any stretch, but that's always what they seem to play). You can get a new foreign P within your price range, or a used non-vintage American P.

Alternative is a different story--that describes a pretty wide spectrum. Usually alternative bassists want something a little more unconventional than a P.
  6. fredolee16

fredolee16

7. k0 by ranger

k0 by ranger

Alright thanks for the recommendations I was also talking to one of my bassist friend and he suggested that I get a Lakland Skyline series bass. What are your opinions on that bass?
  8. ShowKing

ShowKing

A Lakland skyline would be perfect for the money and any genre of music. I recommend the -02 or -01 model but they have pretty much any other style of bass available too.
  9. Mechanical

Mechanical

Used Fender P. MIM. And you're done.
  10. k0 by ranger

k0 by ranger

Yea my friend told me to get a Lakland Skyline Series 44-01. There is one on sale in "lightly used" condition for $500 does that seem like a good deal?