1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Bass Recommendations

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by k0 by ranger, Dec 17, 2013.

1. k0 by ranger

k0 by ranger

Dec 15, 2013
    Hey so I'm a beginning bassist I've owned a Bronco series squire and I would like to purchase a new bass. The squire was okay in my opinion except it rarely ever stayed in tune and the sound from the strings sounded a little off even when tuned. So I'm looking for bass recommendations under $800. I play alternative rock and punk rock music on my bass so I would prefer a base that's good for that kind of music. Thanks in advance.

2. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

Try a different ste of strings first. There's nothing wrong with a well adjusted Squier Bronco. I don't know what is appropriate for alternative rock, but for punk, you would want the cheapest, nastiest, most ratted out instrument you can get. Preferably spray painted flat black by a person with no skill or ability to operate a spray can.

3. Sponsored by:

4. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    look used for a good MIA fender P bass, If that does not work go to a fender MIM or CV Squiers.
    Alt rock and Punk sound great with a P bass and rounds cranked up. Don't look to a fancy active bass and all keep it simple and rock out.

5. GretschBassist

GretschBassist

Nov 11, 2012
    For a beginner with a certain taste, the Gretsch Junior Jet (Link | Street price is about $300) is kinda sweet as is sounds "almost adult", got one for my friends son and he LOVES it. It's a short scale, perfect for beginners and/or people with smaller hands.

6. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    For punk rock, I would think a Fender P-bass would be ideal (I'm not a punk rocker by any stretch, but that's always what they seem to play). You can get a new foreign P within your price range, or a used non-vintage American P.

Alternative is a different story--that describes a pretty wide spectrum. Usually alternative bassists want something a little more unconventional than a P.

7. k0 by ranger

k0 by ranger

Dec 15, 2013
    Alright thanks for the recommendations I was also talking to one of my bassist friend and he suggested that I get a Lakland Skyline series bass. What are your opinions on that bass?

8. A Lakland skyline would be perfect for the money and any genre of music. I recommend the -02 or -01 model but they have pretty much any other style of bass available too.

9. Used Fender P. MIM. And you're done.

10. k0 by ranger

k0 by ranger

Dec 15, 2013
    Yea my friend told me to get a Lakland Skyline Series 44-01. There is one on sale in "lightly used" condition for $500 does that seem like a good deal?