1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

BASS RESONANCE

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shushi_boi, Nov 2, 2012.

1. shushi_boi

shushi_boi

I'm still pretty new to bass guitars, and I've done some research, and I have a fender by squire jazz bass, and I wanted to do it my project to transform it into an actual jazz bass! I figured since I've replaced the pickup tone knob controller, pickups, and strings (fender 7250HM) and I've done research on what I wanted. I also got a amplifier (a Marshall Park series "G10 MK.II" 40 watts) which has a boost switch which I figured is for bass guitars because when I leave it on my bass guitar sounds great and it has no sound problems. So my question here is I've been wanting to replace the neck of my bass guitar to maple (I've researched wood quality and that fits the description of what I'm looking for :bassist: ) and I've stumbled to this which questions my intentions,
    "Join Date: Jun 2011
    I am a luthier.
    Solid body guitars have no tone. The thing that matters most is "does the neck make a solid connection to provide resonance". Secondly, everything needs to be lined up accurately. Thirdly, your intonation must be perfect (as possible) and the guitar must be set up so the strings are as close to the pickups as possible......But most importantly, on an electric guitar, you gotta have great electronics!"
    and
    "The species of the wood doesnt matter what does matter is how the neck and body resonate together.

If you have ever had a guitar and could never get it to sound good even after many different sets of pickups the neck and body are not a good match and until one of them is changed that guitar wont sound good."
    (This post is found here,
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/bad-dog-cafe/297542-body-wood-matters-not.html
    and it regards regular guitars)
    QUESTION: :help:
    So do the bodies and necks of bass guitars have to be the same to prevent resonance and other unwanted noises and will this get me any closer to making my squire sound like the real deal? The reason why I have a squire is because I'm running on a budget :smug:
    Your help will be very much appreciated, THANK YOU :D
  2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Id say and from actual multiple experience with exact same except for woods. That body wood does make a big difference. Regarding resonance, basswood is one of the most resonant woods. Its also more mid rich then most making it ideal for modern and growly voice. The claim about strings to be as close as posible to the pups is also nonsense. Overly close can make them a bit less detailed in sound and also can hurt sustain. To far from the strings and they just sound weak. You need to adjust each pup for best to you sound.

If your a luthier and feel solid body basses have no tone. Quit your job and find another onje in which you can do a good job. Theres tons of luthiers, boutique and even visitors here, and yes even mass market ones, that make solid body basses with great tone. Its a combination of woods, knowing how to pick the woods, construction skill, pups and electronics choice. The only people who should be making solid body basses and guitars is peeps who recognize they can have lots of great tone and who learn to make ones with that imo.

Regarding pups and electronics, there can be quite a bit of change in sound made by changing these. But one needs to know what one is looking for. I can and have had same preferrend pups and preamp in basses that only had one diff between them: body woods. In all cases they retained to main char of the pups but wood diff did tweak the sound notceably.
  3. guymanndude1

guymanndude1 Supporting Member

Been told that, believe it or not, Pine is of of the most resonant woods, also Balsa, but it would be too soft. Some guitars have it it the core of an instrument, though.
  4. KingRazor

KingRazor

My alder bodied bass has great sustain and resonance.
  5. Rodger Bryan

Rodger Bryan

Before spending $$:
    * How does it sound now? (unplugged, plugged in w/"flat"eq and at different volumes)
    * What do you like/dislike about the tone?
    If you can nail down what you expect to gain from modifications, an experienced luthier can help guide you. Beware of the BS floating about from inexperienced luthiers (such as myself) :). A lot of theories, lutherie dogma, and not enough practice and experience.

For the real deal on how damping and resonance impact tone with ALL stringed instruments, this is a good overview:
    http://liutaiomottola.com/myth/damping.htm

Bass makers have successfully mixed different combinations of ingredients together for decades. There isn't just one path to a successful result.

When someone says "not a good match" I would take that to mean that certain combinations of woods may not yield the desired result. They do not need to be the same.

I hope you find what you're looking for. Have fun in the process of modifying the bass and enjoy playing it! :bassist: It is a great learning experience -that is how I got started with my obsessive hobby.
  6. FunkRenegade

FunkRenegade

I tried three different bodies on a same neck with same pickups and strings. All three being alder body from fender factory. I don't notice much difference, if at all.
  7. IronLung1986

IronLung1986

You shouldn't be worrying too much about matching up species of wood properly. In acoustic instruments that's pretty important but with electric bass you should be more concerned with things like a tight-fitting neck and a good setup. The bridge can also be a factor, but more mass isn't always better as some would have you think. Upgrading pickups is a tough thing to recommend. I think with an entry level instrument like a squier it's not worth it. Save that money. If you're spending time on talkbass I guarantee you'll be wanting a nicer, more expensive bass before long, and you'll be looking for ways to afford it.
  8. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Just buy the best bass you can afford and enjoy it. Fenders and Squiers arre mighty nice these days. You can't turn a Squier into a Fender, a bass is what it is...the sum of it's parts. Get what you can try to set it up well.