bass rig hookup suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by brad334, Apr 2, 2014.

1. brad334

brad334

Im just looking for a few suggestions on what order to wire up my bass rig. Im not new at this but im also no expert. For the setup I have there just seems to be quite a number of different ways to run everything. So here's what my rig contains

line 6 g90 wireless
    ampeg svt2 pro
    tech21 vt bass rackmount
    bbe 882i maximizer
    dbx 266xs compressor

I'd ike to have the option of using the tech21 as a footswitchable effect as well as having it on all the time
  2. Sartori

Sartori

Delete the maximizer.

After that, just try various orders and pick whatever sounds best. You might like the effects better in the effects loop or into the input. Either way is okay (you also might like one effect in the loop and the other into the input, or vice versa).

I would start by getting a tone you like just with the amp by itself, and then add things.
    Jamesray740 likes this.
  3. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Presumably you have a footswitch for the VT.

The compressor will work best in the effect loop of your amp.

The vt should handle going in the effect loop or in front, assuming it's same as RBI rackmount with the padding.

Getting the levels right in the effect loop would have the advantage of using the VT's DI. So Comp first, VT 2nd in the fx loop of,your amp.

Maximiser in the bin.
    Sartori likes this.
  4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Other effects should go in front of amp input.
  5. brad334

brad334

Thanks for the help. I figured I would have a few people tell me to get rid of the maximizer. Any suggestions as to what to replace it with? I have this problem where open rack spaces bug me. I think I may have found a community here that understands my pain
    Sartori likes this.
  6. Sartori

Sartori

A drawer for your cables. Or a fan. Or even a tuner. Something actually useful.
  7. okcrum

okcrum in your chest Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Dark Horse strings
    Or a blank panel.
    Sartori likes this.
  8. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Someone should start a brand of plain blank panels.

"GASPROOF"
    Sartori likes this.
  9. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Blank panel
    Sartori likes this.
  10. brad334

brad334

Have the tuner and a fan mounted to the rear pulling air out. I just didn't include them in the post. I have a 2u drawer on the way. I guess a vent or blank would be the practical way to go
    Sartori likes this.
  11. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

With that setup you may want to check into using FULL RANGE speaker cabinets instead of "name brand" BASS GUITAR CABINETS. You may be pleasantly surprised especially if you love the way your bass sounds through a PA run by a competent soundperson.

On topic: I vote for the vented rack plate.
  12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

I hate to say it, but I feel the same way about that DBX compressor. I have one of the black faced 266, and to my ears its a tone suck of a compressor. Think about saving a few bucks and getting the 166 for your setup.
  13. brad334

brad334

I will look into the 166. And johnny im currently running a svt 810e. Im not sure if that qualifies as full range or name brand. I like it because its sealed with no tweeter. What cab comes to mind for you?
    Sartori likes this.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'll bet whatever cab it is, it has a tweeter.

:D
    Sartori likes this.
  15. Sartori

Sartori

I just didn't know enough about it to comment.

The 810e is a great cab. Especially with that head.
  16. brad334

brad334

I do love that cab-minus the moving it part. Good thing i have a truck. Betwween the rack and cab i need to hire a roadie. Thats the price i pay i guess. A great rig and a broken back
  17. Sartori

Sartori

I actually prefer moving my bigass 2x15 to moving my 1x15. The 2x15 has wheels. I don't use a rack partly because that would make my relatively light head (for a tube amp) into a behemoth. Also because I can't really think of anything I'd put in it.