1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bass Scratch Protectors and Pickguard Protectors

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mmx6, Dec 26, 2012.

1. mmx6

mmx6

I just bought some 24 inch to 27 inch universal screen protectors clear glossy from my local computer store.

The universal screen protector costs me $7 each

The concept is the same as the Guitar Condom, but no way I am paying $20 for just a back finish guard for my Fender Jazz bass.

Going to use an exacto knife to cut out light outline of my bass back shape and the Pickguard shape.

Then I will cut it with scissors and peel off the adhesive side and get it on my bass.

I don't think the adhesive of the screen protectors will do any damage to the bass finish since it is silicon static based.
  2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Interesting idea, although I like my basses to look like they get played.
  3. LarryO

LarryO

Spray it with scotch guard too
  4. mmx6

mmx6

No need for scotchgard since the screen protectors work with charge silicon for sticking. This has no stains nor residue even when using on nitro and poly
  5. LarryO

LarryO

Put sunscreen on it
  6. mcnach

mcnach

That's something that I never even thought of.
    I look after my basses and guitars... but not to the extent of worrying about *pickguards* getting a few marks with normal use.
    But I guess that for those of you who do, it's a much nicer option than leaving the plastic film basses come with from factory, as some do. They look terrible.
  7. mmx6

mmx6

Not to mention the screen protectors offer Pickguard protection since the screen protector is much thicker than the film the first comes with.

Because of the thicker film of tr screen protection, you will never have to worry about the plastic melting or merging with your plastic Pickguard
  8. preside

preside

9. mmx6

mmx6

For those OCD like me

I don't really care for the pick guard wear

I use it mainly to keep the back body finish guard from wearing

But I know some guys are pick guard perfectionists, so I am just throwing it out there.