Bass set at 30hz?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by 2string1, Jan 8, 2014.

1. 2string1

2string1 Supporting Member

When they say the bass knob is set at 30hz. What do they mean?
  2. clmayhew

clmayhew

That's the frequency that the knob boosts or cuts.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The center frequency of the knob is 30hz, but that doesn't tell you everything, because it also affects surrounding frequencies on both sides of the center. So it's really a case by case basis on what gets affected.
  4. Mushroo

Mushroo

Who is "they" and why didn't you ask them what they meant when they said it?

30hz is a very low frequency (approximately the lowest B on a 5 string bass) so that's why it's labeled "bass" and not "treble."

If you have questions how to EQ your bass for various styles/songs, then ask away! :)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
  7. Mushroo

Mushroo

Wow, what an incredibly informative thread... Nick really did his homework. Thanks for sharing the link. :)
  8. 2string1

I believe the old style Puma 500's sets there bass pot at 30hz. Just wondering if they mean if the knob is straight up it's at 30hz. I know turning a knob one way or the other changes the sound. I just don't know exactly what it's doing.lol If a pot is set for 30hz at center and I turn the knob to the left am I cutting only the 30hz. Can you tell I'm confused. Some people like there pots set at certain hz from the factory. Thats what makes them like that brand of amp. Is that just for convenience so that they like the sound with the knob set flat. (straight up) Am I sounding stupid or what!
  9. Passinwind

Media:
    Albums:
    De nada. As you said, just saying "the knob is set at 30Hz" leaves a lot of room for interpretation.
  10. Mushroo

Mushroo

I don't know what a Puma 500 is (Google tells me it is sneakers??) but the thread Passinwind links to answers your exact question, with graphs. If you don't have time to read it, I can summarize it by saying: different amps have different circuits, and you should find the one that sounds best to you. :)

Personally I would probably use a 30hz bass control as cut only. I would never send a signal to the mixing board that was significantly pre-boosted at 30hz, because it would interfere with the engineer's ability to properly EQ/mix my bass using his equipment. Same reason I don't brush my teeth before I go to the dentist for a cleaning. ;)
  11. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Tecamp Puma
  12. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it. Supporting Member

Wait...what?

[​IMG]
  13. Mushroo

Mushroo

That would be an interesting poll for a different thread, "do you brush your teeth before you go to the dentist to have your teeth brushed?"

I totally understand that some people brush and floss like a madman before their cleaning, maybe they are trying to trick the dentist into thinking they take better care of their teeth than they actually do? My thought process is, I am not going to waste my time sloppily brushing my teeth with a 79 cent tooth brush, on my way to have a professional do the same thing with high-end equipment.

Anyway, my experience, when players show up for a gig or recording session and are like, "hey, I pre-EQ'd my bass, already programmed in all the compression and effects and everything at home, so all you should need to do is run me into the mains," the sound engineer is like, "yeah, thaaaaaanks buddy."
  14. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

The Traditional bass knob is 60hz. Some bass amps started having a 50 hz slider on the graphic eq. My Ampeg has a graphic EQ and the lowest freqency is 40 hz. I think the bass control on my Audere preamps is 40 hz.

Your A string is 55hz, Your E string is 41hz, The B string on a 5 string bass is 30.87.
  15. Mushroo

Mushroo

Yes and no. A little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

Every note you play on the bass creates sound over the entire audible frequency range. For example "pure" E is 41hz, but playing the note E on a physical instrument like a bass also creates sounds lower than 41hz and higher than 41hz.

If you start thinking of EQ sliders/knobs as corresponding to specific individual notes, you'll drive yourself nuts. EQ is not really about making individual notes louder/softer, it is about shaping the overall tone of every note on the instrument.
  16. 2string1

Interesting,the puma is set at 30hz. Don't know if thats good or not,but I'll find out when it comes this Saturday...
  17. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

30hz? Really?

That would appear to be the 'I want to blow my speaker' control.

Most production cabs have rolled off fairly heavily by 30hz, nor is it where our ear really perceives low bass on a bass guitar.

On graphic EQ's that's the slider I pull down all the way. :crying:
  18. Passinwind

Media:
    Albums:
    Nope. This graph may be fairly similar to what your amp does when you crank full boost on the bass control:

[​IMG]

This is just a ballpark model taken from one of my DIY preamps, adjusted to +15dB at 30Hz. You can see that you are actually boosting everything from 1KHz down a little bit. Your amp probably behaves a bit differently, but hopefully you get the general idea? The thread I linked goes into much greater detail if you care to go there. ;)
  19. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

wwwwwiiiiiddde shelving.
  20. Passinwind

Media:
    Albums:
    Not as simple as it seems. ;)

An EQ spec'ed at a 60Hz shelving point can easily still be at full boost at 30Hz, while now slamming another octave of low bass at full power instead of half power at 60 as illustrated in my graph. A little bit of spec is often a dangerous thing, not unlike cranking bass controls in general.
  21. 2string1

Are they any benefits at having 30hz on the bass control compared to 60hz? I have read some like 30 on the bass and 250 on the low mid...