Bass setup advice

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by terryj47, Dec 15, 2013.

1. terryj47

terryj47

Hello everyone. I picked up a new Squier VM 70s Jazz Bass a couple of weeks ago. Although I'm really happy with the bass, it needs a little tweaking. I've put on Rotosound Jazz 77 FW strings (105,85,65,45) and the action is just a little high. I know setup parameters are subjective but I could use some guidelines.
    Please give me some suggestions for neck relief, string height at 12th fret, and string height above first fret.
    I did tweak the truss rod when I first got it and flattened out a little too much. I had some string rattle. It's about back to where it was now "out of the box". This bass sounds great. Very much like a double bass with the right settings. The lower two strings need more playing time as they still have a little of that garage door spring tone. But is it going away. Thanks in advance.
  2. RBS_Johnson

RBS_Johnson

3. terryj47

terryj47

4. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Medium to low set up:

Relief: .012" at the seventh fret using a straight edge. Eighth fret if using a capo at the first and fretting at F14. Tolerance is plus or minus a thousandth or two in either direction to allow for uneven fret surfaces.

String height: 6/64" and 5/64" bass and treble respectively, measured at the twelfth fret from the top of the fret to the bottom of the string.

Anything lower will almost always require more accurate fret dressing than what is acceptable in a factory.

The above is a benchmark. Regulate the action to your particular needs from there, always remembering that the individual instrument will limit the options.
  5. jcanderson

jcanderson

Also check out the 4 videos by John Carruthers on YouTube. I found them very helpful. (Search on "bass guitar setup carruthers").
  6. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

7. sdenney78

sdenney78

I guess the 6/64" is in regards to the low E string. What about the medium to low setup for the low B string? Anyone else care to answer as well? Thanks.
  8. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Start at 6/64 and raise it until it stops buzzing.
  9. terryj47

terryj47

Thanks for the responses and thanks for moving the thread.
  10. sdenney78

sdenney78

96tbird - Thanks for the instruction!
  11. Immigrant

Immigrant

You can also start at 3/32" and raise it from there.

:bag:
  12. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Ah haha. I was thinking the same thing:)
  13. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

14. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Or zero!