1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bass setup completion help

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by M4verick, Dec 24, 2012.

1. M4verick

M4verick

Hi, my first pist here but i have been lurking for a while:)

I am planning to complete my bass setup to use with headphones exclusively, cause my apartament is cramped and my wife works at home.

I was considering two scenarios:

To buy sansamp di preamp plus some portable headphone amp or to buy bass head (like kustom kr200) and simply plug the headphones in.

My budget is like 300$-400$ and i am looking for the best sound available for that price.

What do you think?

2. MyMusic

MyMusic

While I am partial to Carvin products and own and prefer the BX250 for this, I would recommend the Gallien-Krueger MB200 if you want an aux. in so that you can play an mp3 player through it. Both can be had for under $300.00.
    Merry Christmas!!!!

3. ejmy

ejmy

If you don't need a amp for gigs, any USB device, many under $100. All have headphone out.

4. ejmy

ejmy

Of course, you need a computer to use those.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

I bougt an Earwig Bass Headphone amp. They are small, light weight, excellent sound and very cheap. Made in Canada. http://www.ebay.com/itm/EARWIG-Head...785?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item460b514b49

Then, I use Grado SR60i headphones. They are an OUTSTANDING headphone for Hi Fi stereo and FANTASTIC for bass guitar! The best headphones for the money, according to Stereophile magazine. http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestige-Series-SR-60i-Headphones/dp/B0006DPMU4

When I practice bass with this little set-up, the sound is very revealing and it makes me put forth more effort to play cleanly!

The Earwig has no tone controls so that part is controled by the bass' tone controls.

Headphones and amp will cost around $120. The sound quality is EXCELLENT!

7. M4verick

M4verick

Thanks for the replies so far, I don't want anything which will require PC, as I already got the Rocksmith game with USB cable. Now I want to mess something without the PC turned on :)

How about this one?

http://www.carlmartin.com/product_rock_bug.htm

Looks sexy, will it be suitable for bass play ?

8. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

+1. If you don't mind being tied to a computer, Line 6 Pod Studio devices are excellent, with superb software included too.

Or if you have an iOS device, there's a plethora of headphone devices and apps for practice. See the iOS effects forum thread:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/i...jamup-xt-audiobus-multitrack-daw-more-941283/

9. Denny Coon

Denny Coon

i bought a Line 6 pod pro (rackmount) on here for $300 and it has turned out to be a great investment for applications like that and many beyond...

10. old-fashioned

old-fashioned

11. M4verick

M4verick

How about zoom b3 as an all in one solution? The price is tempting considering the amount the features it has

12. meRTKendrew

meRTKendrew

First, do you already have headphones you like? I use and like Sony MDR7506. I've also tried a pair of grados and liked them.

As for an amp, there are lots of options, like the Cafe Walter, which supposedly is perfectly clean, or you could get a small mixer like the alesis multimix 4.

rtk

13. boomboom4200

boomboom4200

a old zoom b2 can b had off the bay for decent prices,a dollar store pair of ear phones,the big headset ones are only like 10 $,and a radio shack 3.5mm to 1/4 adapter kit is mabey 8$,so I got this bad a$$ set up,you know them zooms,every effect youll ever use + 50 more,plug it right in and rock the shiz outta my little corner,and old wifey and kiddo are none the wiser,It took me a few weeks to get it all together but I couldnt be happier with it