bass speaker repair

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by icke2433, Feb 11, 2013.

1. icke2433

icke2433 Supporting Member

Hey guys I have a few questions on repairing bass speakers.
    I understand there is a lot but I couldnt find anything with my problem. I have a carvin 410t bass cab and one of it's drivers gives off this ugly farty noise. I took off the grill and saw that not all the drivers are moving as much and this particular driver seems to be moving much more than the other speakers and even looks like it's popping out when I hit the low notes, any suggestions?

2. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    That one's blown, it's just flopping around in sympathy with the ones that are working. Drivers can be reconed, which is basically re-using the frame and magnet and having all the other parts replaced. This would be something you'd have done at a speaker repair service and is a good, less expensive option for the more costly drivers out there. For your Carvin, it would probably cost about the same to just order a new replacement driver from them and replace it yourself.

Search up the "battery test" on here and do that to all your woofers individually ( not the tweeter) to verify which are blown and which are not. In a speaker qiring scheme that has series connections it in, one blown driver may cut the signal off to it's mate, making it seem as if you have 2 blown drivers when in fact you only have 1.

3. johng999

johng999

You can recone yourself, save some money and learn something new. I have reconed speakers with great results. It's not hard, you just need to take your time and be thorough removing all old glue.

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Problem is John that I doubt if re-cone kits are available for the Carvin drivers. It's much simpler just to do as Will suggested.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    I did have a carvin ps10 reconed here locally years ago when they were eminence sourced. Was only about $10 less than a new replacement at the time. Those I think were fairly close to a relabeled Beta. Thinking back, I really don' t know if a carvin spec cone was used or if he just put a beta cone on it. Sounded about the same as the othdr carvins. Real betas have a little more "oomph" in their bottom.

As for the OP, I'd just order a replcement from Carvin and install it myself.

OP, when you take the drivers out, battery test them all, including the one I am assuming is blown. There's an outside chance a wire just came off.

7. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Also possible the overactive speaker is the only one that is working.