Bass storage, i need help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AngryPig1, Feb 5, 2014.

1. AngryPig1

AngryPig1

Hi basically I've moved (temporarily) into a fairly damp house, and by fairly damp i mean the ceiling leaks when it rains and the walls usually have a film of moisture on them. it not pleasant but its cheap and only for a couple of months.

Anyway I was wondering in this sort of situation whats the best way of storing your gear? I cant pack it all away completely as I play it most days but should I be keeping at elast my ric in the case all the time? is there anything else I can do?
  2. dalkowski

dalkowski

"A freezing cold flat and damp on the walls. That's entertainment."
    - P. Weller

Keep your basses in their cases at all times when not playing.

Keep all your kit in the driest parts of the house.

Inspect your gear regularly for signs of mildew/mold.

If the space where you're keeping your kit is still very damp, consider buying a dehumidifier to regulate the room moisture.

Pray for sun.

Move to a drier home at the first opportunity.

Good luck!
  3. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Definitely keep the bass in a hard case at all times when you're not playing it.
  4. AngryPig1

AngryPig1

Thanks! should i get some of those little silicon bags of moisture absorbant things (not exactly sure wha they're called) and sling them in by cases/gear bags?

anyone know wheere they can be acquired?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassgod0dmw

They would be pointless. They are designed to remove moisture from a sealed environment. If they are left "out" in a non sealed environment, once they absorb as much moisture as they can handle they are done.

The bass will adjust to the environment just fine. It'll probably need a setup after a few weeks and then another once you move out.
  7. AngryPig1

AngryPig1

ok thanks for the advice!
  8. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I'd definitely think about buying a dehumidifier - for your own health as well as the basses'. That kind of a place is going to be prone to mold and mildew. They're usually not too expensive.
  9. dalkowski

dalkowski

You should be able to find all kinds of moisture control solutions at your local B&Q or Homebase mega-home centre.

(Helpful household hint: Opened tins of ground coffee (not coffee grounds!) can chase some of the musty smell.
  10. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

If any of your basses have an oil/wax finish on the back of the neck (like, for example EBMM non-Classic models do), now might be a good time for a new coat of oil and wax. It helps keep the wood sealed, so it absorbs less moisture.
  11. groooooove

groooooove

electric basses are really durable. if its only for a few months? dont worry about it..

it'll probably need a few extra setups and stuff. if you own a truss rod wrench, fear not.
  12. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

I've got to ask where this "shelter" is?
  13. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

The gell packs you referred to are called "Dessiccant Silica Gell" and while they won't do much for a large environment , a few in your guitar case is probably a good idea. I have an old Guild 12 string that only gets pulled out of storage every couple years and I keep about 5 packs of this stuff in the case. I have had no mold or moisture problems for the 12 years I've been using the stuff. Anything bigger than a guitar case requires a de-humidifier.
  14. AngryPig1

AngryPig1

Thanks guys, i might just grab a few of those silica gell things to be on the safe side...

im fairly naive about all this kind of stuff, i've got a Ric 4003 does that have an oil/wax finish? it doesnt strike me as having one but as I said I dont really know what that means...

ive moved all the stuff into the least damp rom now and my guitars are sitting comfortabley in their cases in a room with a bunch of those camper van style absorbant packs, not really sure how much good they will do. im gonna look on gumtree today for a dehumidifier so hopefully I will have it sorted soon...

as for the location of the shelter.... well its in an old house in camberwell south london. TBH i've been to squats that are in better condition than this dive but needs must..

anyway, I appreciate all the tips guys, thanks
  15. bassgod0dmw

No, a Ric is painted.
  16. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Supporting Member

You moved into the fight club house ehh? Basses need humidity...human lungs, not so much.
  17. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

It will make a good story for your future "Behind the Music" special after you've made it big.
  18. kcole4001

kcole4001

+1

I'd worry more about mold or mildew than actual structural damage, even on the outer surfaces of the cases.
    Once it gets into tolex, it's hard to get completely out.
    Plastic SKB type cases should be more immune, but I'd still be very careful.

A dehumidifier is definitely a smart option.
  19. Spiritfield

Spiritfield

Dude, the first rule of Fight Club is you do not talk about Fight Club....
  20. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Supporting Member

Ya but can we talk about a young Helena Bonham Carter and her bull riding antics? I love that movie but even looking at that house in the film gives me an asthma attack!
  21. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Is there any chance of storing your gear elsewhere? At a friend or family member's house? Even if you just keep one bass with you and put the rest of your stuff elsewhere while you're at this place, it might solve a few problems.

Just a different option.