1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bass Store in Brooklyn?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by neddyrow, Jan 13, 2013.

1. neddyrow

neddyrow

I'm going to be in Brooklyn this coming weekend and would like to try out a few carved basses. I'm looking for a recommendation as to where I should go in Brooklyn, or any of NYC for that matter, to try out a few basses. I'd like to play a Shen willow or hybrid among a few others. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  2. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Have you been to J.R Judd's in Williamsport, PA?
  3. neddyrow

neddyrow

I have not. Pretty close?
  4. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher

There's nothing in BKLYN, go to David Gage or Bill Merchant in Manhattan. If you get ambitious take a drive or train up to Arnold at AES, he's bound to have something nice.
  5. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

It's not far from Cortland by car, and they have a Shen Willow, Shen hybrid (among others) plus several 1900ish European carved basses in stock at reasonable prices.

Definitely visit Gage (I was just there, and the bass sales floor is PACKED with great stuff), and Merchant is a great guy. I heard he has a barely used Shen 180 for sale at a good price.
  6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Call Gage first to make an appointment. If you're coming from the north, you'll be coming past Arnold's shop as well as the Bass Garden, so check Geoff's website too. If you're dropping south (into Pennsylvania) first, then check out Shank's Strings. What's your budget? Carlos Henriquez (BAJO) has a couple of nice basses in the classifieds here.
  7. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Excellent point. I walked in off the street, and while they were able to accommodate me, I got the sense that I had broken protocol.
  8. neddyrow

neddyrow

Thanks for the suggestions!!

I'm in the process of liquidating much of my extra gear and pool my cash to get a carved bass. I'm hoping to have over $3k closer to 4k. It seems like Shens are a good amount of bass for the price. I play more bluegrass and Americana type music with some slapping. I don't really want a Kay. I'd like to try out a willow or hybrid from shen. But I'm open to other suggestions while this thread is open. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks