Bass stories: You're first bass and your favorite bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Presto2112, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Presto2112

Presto2112

Here's my story. Feel free to post your own.

It was 4 years ago in 2 months. I had been renting a sammick until this. I was in my local music store. There I saw it. A red Hohner B2a steinberger clone. I thought "Geddy". Being 11 not knowing they had a Geddy lee Sig model nor knew had the money for a rickenbacker I remembered seeing Geddy with a steinberger and fell in love with it. It had a red sparkle finish with a Db bridge. An active switch with a stack knob for controlling it. I bought it for $700 (well my dad did) I then saw some on ebay from $200-400 and realized we got screwed. It is my favorite bass as well because it has so many memories being my main bass from 6th-8th grade band. I do have a rickenbacker that i got last year but I still have too many good memories with my Hohner so that's still my fave. :D

2. Presto2112

Presto2112

my 3 current basses

3. Davbassdude

Davbassdude

There are actually two first basses. The first bass I played was a hand me down Jap Imperial bass semi hollow body sunburst my parents bought for my older brother in Two Guys in Totowa, N.J. in 1968. In 1972 for my 12th birthday, my father got me a used ivory colored Fender Musicmaster for $80.00 at Star Music in Caldwell, N.J. (Played my first gig on that one... later ripped off out my basement window). I still have my favorite bass: The 1980 Mapleglo Rickenbacker 4003 I bought new at Robbie's Music City in Wayne, N.J.

4. soulman969

soulman969

The first pro bass I ever owned was a LPB 66 Fender Jazz Bass. I play a CV 60's Jazz today and wish I'd never ever sold that 66. Even though it would be worth a small fortune this CV that I bought used for $250 is very bit as good as the 66. Of course that 66 only cost about $250 back then too.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. addylewis

addylewis

MIM Jazz was my first...and it remained my fave for 7-and-a-half years until I got my MIJ Jaguar in 2008 - now SOUND-wise I'd pick the Jaguar, but in reality theres no neck like a well-worn satin finish

7. woofer27

woofer27

Mine was a "Norma" P bass copy that I bought in the local hardware store-no kidding- in 1965. I think about a year later I bought a Gibson EB-3 which I probably played for 10 years or so...

8. schwartzbass

schwartzbass

My first decent bass was a white fender musicmaster that my teacher sold me for $100 back in 73. Then when i finished high school my best friend co signed a loan to buy my red
    rickenbacker 4000. I wish i still had that bass.

9. the wako kid

the wako kid

I was in westminster pawn,and I saw my trans red johnson precision bass.I said to my self "I can be just like Steve Harris." be cause he played a precision bass.It was in my budget and I said to my dad that It was the one,like it was a soulmate,and it still is.I grabbed it off the shelf and after stumbling through come as you are which was the only song I knew. and I knew that it was the perfect bass for me.I keep buying little upgrades for it,and I still smile every time I look at it,especially now that I can play Iron Maiden.now I wanna play it.....

10. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

My first was a '74 P,borrowed from a buddies mom until I could afford my own gear,and then I continued to borrow it for years! :D

My fav is a FrankenSquier Jazz that I've sold and re-bought 4-5 times now..and my buddie's mom's '74 :p

11. punkjazzben

punkjazzben Supporting Member

I have two first basses and one proper first bass.

My first bass was given to me for Christmas by my mother in 2000. It was a red Torch precision bass, with a laminated maple neck and fingerboard, white pickguard and pup covers, and a matching red headstock.

I did most of my learning on the bass, until about 2002, when nu-metal was all the rage and I sold it to a friend (its still doing the beginner rounds in my home town, I believe) and went out and bought an Ashton AB505 black five-string bass with a P/J pup combination and exceptionally tight string spacing. It wasn't a quality bass, but I was one of the few with a five-banger in my town and I felt like a god.

My first real, respectable bass was a second-hand Yamaha RBX765A in 2004. Five string, soapbars, finished in translucent green with gold hardware. It was and still is an amazing bass. Although I bought a Warwick Corvette 6 in 2006 before I went to study music at university, I used the Yamaha for most of my uni playing and it remained a solid bass. I sold it to a good friend when I thought I might switch to double bass full time. If I ever see one for sale and I have the money, I'll grab it, no question.

I am torn about my favourite bass. I'm the type of guy who makes sure he plays each bass regularly for fear of hurting the other bass's feelings. Right now I have days where I think the Warwick 'vette is the bees-knees. But I do most of my gigging on a Fender P-bass - it just works. On the other hand, I got all nostalgic for my Yammie and my girlfriend bought me an RBX270J a year or so ago, and that is one of the few basses I've played that I pick up and feel that it makes me play better; its light, plays like butter and sounds so good. If you had to be objective, the Warwick is probably the 'best' bass I own, but I just can't settle on one.

12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

1st bass was an '79 Ibanez Studio. Weighed a ton, a decent player but wasn't too versatile or enjoyable. Once I got my Precision in 2002, that's kinda where I have been...stuck in Precision tone-land.

13. millsbass5

millsbass5

Story on my first bass:
    A late 60's-early 70's fender P-Bass in Sunburst/Rosewood f/board. It came with an Acoustic 370,and an Ampeg cab that my parents gave me for my b-day/Christmas present. Yup,my b-day is Dec. 25th........ Great presents,BTW!!! My parents purchased it all from my uncle & aunt,who were VERY,VERY famous in the gospel music industry with MANY No.1 hits on the gospel charts. Which also,coincidentally,is where I received my early experience (and resume),and also my foot in the door for my start in studio work.

I have 3 favorite basses. All of them for their tone,and vintage-ness....

1961 Jazz Bass (Need I say more?)
    1990 Tobias Classic 5 (Again,need I say more?)
    1975 Fender Jazz Bass (This'n is for it's straight-up bitchin' tone. I'd put it up against ANYTHING!!!)

14. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

First bass a black Yamaha RBX170 aka Sin-i-ster she's light and sounds okay but, she lays untouched on her stand since Odin came along. She's going to go to my nephew as soon as he's old enough. What he does with her then is up to him but, I hope he uses it like I did.

Second bass and current favorite fugly trifade burst Ibanez ATK305 aka Odin the Godkiller. Heavy as all get out but, the tone and strap I use more than makes up for it.

15. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

My very first bass was a '79 Peavey T-40. Mine was the black one with all maple neck and fingerboard. That thing was built like a tank and could take a beating for days.

My favorite bass is my '04 Warwick Thumb 6 NT. I just love Warwicks.

16. HeyBlair

HeyBlair

My VERY first bass was back in 1968. It was a made in USA P-Bass. I was 13 at the time and a buddy's older brother was in a band, so us younger kids (8th Graders) put together a "band" One of the guys in the brothers band had a beat up bass but said it played great. It was actually covered with a psychedelic vinyl wallpaper. He sold it to me for $100. I really can't remember what ever happened to that bass. I played a little guitar off and on over the years but hadn't played base since 1970. A few years ago, I went to buy an amp off CL. The guy selling it kept begging me to buy his bass as well. and kept lowering the price unti he got to $75.00 - so I bought his Epiphone EB-0 short scale. I bought it mostly to help him out and because it looked just like my Gibson SG, sort of. I got home and started noodling around and didn't put it down for hours. The repair guy at the local music show was amazed at how good it sounded, low action, no buzzy or dead frets. He said they were great little basses, some better than others but that I found a good one. I still have it and play it now and then. I have a few more basses now. My favorite is 1990 G&L L-2000. I also have a custom made medium scale with flatwounds I like alot. I just got a "Cowpoke" (Look it up) P-bass Deluxe Special with Kubicki preamp and stacked pots. I think I have an addiction problem.

17. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    If you look in the latest issue of Bass Player Magazine you'll see an article about a '60s Kent made by Guyatone in Japan. That was my 1st bass except it had a G on the headstock because I bought it in Japan in '64-65. I guess my fave bass of the moment is my 5 string singlecut Stambaugh.

18. Spectrum

Spectrum

Sometime around 1984-5 in South Jersey as a punk kid, my best friend played saxaphone in the South Philly String Band (the famed Mummers) with his dad. He got the notion that we should buy guitars and start a rock band. Sounded like a good idea to me. I wanted a white Gibson like Alex Lifeson had. But I really liked Geddy Lee's Rickenbacker. My buddy told me we'd need a bassist, so go for it.

Not long after, at the flea market in Berlin, New Jersey, I saw a Kent short scale P-bass copy on the wall at a record store. It was cheap, so I talked my dad into buying it for me. It was pretty, silver metallic burst and maple finger board (like I knew what that meant). I played it through the family stereo because I had no amp. I sucked.

A few weeks of lessons later I was getting the hang of it, and I learned my first Rush bass line: Distant Early Warning. YES!

My bass teacher told me the Kent was crap and was holding me back; I should see about getting a better bass. So I convinced my mom that a new bass would be more appreciated than a high school class ring. Best argument I ever made! Here is the bass she bought me after I picked it out:

[​IMG]

Westone Spectrum GT. Japanese 80s monster. That photo was taken a few months ago. 25+ years later it's still my favorite bass, I've taken good care of it.

Every time I see my mom I thank her for it.

She barely remembers it, but even after I finally got my awesome Ric my old Westone is still that one special instrument. It seems to fit my body perfectly, it sounds good, the neck after all this time just feels so natural. My instructor loved it, "The way it should be, all my students should have badass instruments!"

Post Script: My buddy who talked me into buying a bass? He bought a guitar, never took it seriously. I wound up being the one playing in rock bands.

19. Spectrum

Spectrum

LOL I know the feeling. It's a good excuse for not buying too many basses.

20. Wallace320

Wallace320

@millsbass5:
    I was born the 25th December as well!

Hi everybody,
    How're you?!

My very first bass is (I still got) a Made in Taiwan Yamaha RBX350. Sparkling deep blue, it's an alder body, maple neck w/rosewood 22fret fingerboard and p/j configuration.
    Just a few jack input replacement and an upgrading w/a Hipshot GB7 (Gotoh original machine heads) bass extender, and it's alive and kicking as 20+yr ago.

down - left hand side:
    View attachment 257782

View attachment 257783
    up - left hand side:

My main/favorite/weapon of choice/kinda bass is one off the Yamaha Attitude limited II that I got: the one in lava red finish (check out Mr. Big's 2009 reunion "back to Budokan" live DVD) This bass needs no introduction: alder body w/both DiMarzio WillPower "woofer" (neck pickup) and "tweeter" (split pickup).
    Dual jack input (one per each pickup, in "stereo/parallel" configuration - "mono/serial" configuration switch available) satin maple "baseball stick" Precision neck, jumbo frets w/upper scallopped frets for insane bending. Hipshot BT1 bass extender already onboard. Tuned a whole step down. My wrecking machine. Nothing gets louder.

21. djaxup

djaxup

my first Bass (lent): a korean squier P-Bass, built in the 80's. Honey Blonde with white 1-plier Pickguard.
    my first bass i bought myself: Musicman stealth bongo 4HS
    my favorite Bass: 1988' Wal MK1 4-String