1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bass String Suggestions/Options/Possibilities

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Swingville, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Swingville

Swingville

Hi. I'm new to the bass guitar but have played six string guitar for years. Interested in Blues, Classic Rock, Hard Rock & Rockabilly music. Never played bass before.

Just purchased a five string Schecter Damien-5 bass guitar with two EMG-40hz pickups and a 35" scale. I believe the five string bass guitar will arrive tuned to BEADG.

What's the advantage to BEADG?

I'm thinking of tuning to "one octave below" the six string guitar's tuning to EADGB(E). Is there a problem for this as a bass player? Since I'm a guitar player, it seems EADGB(e) would be easy to follow watching or playing bass with other guitarists. I know I'd need to get proper strings and have them intonated correctly.

What do you think? Thanks. Swingville :)
  2. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

It's more about what register you want to pay in Han ease of following a guitarist, which you normally would be doing by ear to some degree, but it depends on what your musical situation.

Will you be playing parts where the bass drops down to low D or further? What if the guitarists tune down?

One of the main uses of a fiver is to be able to play in different keys without moving up and down the neck; it gives you more flexibility choosing positions and fingerings

Finally, what will you be doing all the way up in the register? Will you be soloing a lot, or chording, is there a reason you want the top string.

Let the music dictate your choice, not some barely relevant detail like following the guitarist. Your a bassist, you should be driving the band, anyway!
  3. Swingville

Swingville

I'm gathering from your comment, ultimately, the BEADG should handle it all as well as the four string counters BEAD or EADG. Just need to learn and adapt.

Guessing that from your comments that tuning one octave below the six-string guitar is not normal.

Thanks for responding. I will investigate further.
    All new to me :)
  4. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

Not common, at least on a 5 string. BEAD is not commonly used on either, though probably a lot more common on four strings than AEDGB is on fivers..
  5. phangtonpower

phangtonpower

Look up Scott Devine on youtube. He does a lot instructional stuff for bass. I think he tunes his bass EADGB?
  6. Swingville

Swingville

Thanks, I will. Swingville
  7. Swingville

Swingville

Looks like I will make it simple and keep my new
    five string bass to BEADG or try EADGC
    and keep the guitar in 4ths. I will keep it normal.
    Thanks again.