1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bass Strings & Air Conditioning

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by metallist, Jan 14, 2014.

1. metallist

metallist

Hi TBer's,

Got a strange one for you all.
    I have evaporative cooling in my house and it's been running non stop for the last 2 days; coping a 40C heat wave down under!

Picked up my bass yesterday and noticed the strings were really "dead" sounding like they haven't been changed in over 6 months.
    Strings are d'addario EXL and are roughly 2 months old.

I've heard of heat & humidity effecting the neck but could moisture in the air have pre-maturely killed my strings?

Thanks in advance. :)
  2. jason73

jason73

Try the EB cobalts. Much more resilient to temp and humidity changes.
  3. car_man65

car_man65

Similar situation with some rotosounds I had on one of my ibby 5 strings. Still not sure if it was a coincidence that they went dead while it was a really hot week. Haven't had it happen again but will be monitoring them all this spring and summer.
  4. metallist

metallist

Thanks for the string suggestion - I'm hoping this heats pisses off so I don't need to change my strings. I love the d'addario's
  5. metallist

metallist

I thought it was the heat too - was playing yesterday and they sounded fine. Picked bass up at rehearsal last night... Sounded like dead round wounds!
  6. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

My air con has also been running flat out this week. Playing havoc a few of my basses, that's for sure!
  7. car_man65

car_man65

At least replacing strings is cheaper than a neck!
  8. metallist

metallist

Especially on a neck through... :)
  9. car_man65

car_man65

Whew for sure
  10. freatles

freatles

11. metallist

metallist

Cheers for the link, tried that too!
    I'll give them a boil next week - when the hot weather departs.
  12. YKARO

YKARO

Yeah. A good thing of this strings is that it is made in California's dessert, this make that the EB strings are so good todo playa un warm suites.
    I use it, 55-110 cobalt:bassist: