Bass Synth Options

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by apdamron, Dec 21, 2012.

1. apdamron

apdamron

Looking to expand my pedalboard a bit more, play 90% covers, 10% originals. Currently running a MXR87 Bass comp -> darkglass b3k -> Source Audio MWBD Pro -> Source audio BEF Pro w/HH3 -> Boss RB5 reverb.

I've been looking at a few different options but am having a hard time deciding. the MarkBass SuperSynth seems quite enticing with the presets, sounds, and software to create patches via USB, but lacks expression input or MIDI. Boss SYB-5 has the expression and some good sounds but lacks presets, which is almost a dealbreaker as I need multiple settings to use in live scenarios on a weekly basis.

What other options are there? At this point I'm even considering running a laptop with MIDI controller, XY touchpad, etc.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
  2. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix

What type of covers? Synth sound examples?
  3. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Look for a used Korg G5. Stores 9 presets, has expression pedal input, tracks really well, can sound like stereotypical Minimoog bass, easy to program yet pretty flexible. No MIDI or computer editing/storage though.
  4. groooooove

groooooove

yup.

ive owned the boss bass synth, EHX bass micro, korg G5, and a deep impact.

the only two i liked were the deep impact and G5. the DI is what it is, it has "that" sound but doesent track that well. the G5 is far superior, the only drawback is that its physically bigger. also, got knows what deep impacts are worth now, but if you can find a G5 on ebay it'll probably sell for about $300 or so..
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

If you plan on playing above 100 BPM avoid the Boss SYB-5 it tracks quite badly and will lose you if you play even remotely quick.

I have heard good things about the H.O.G. but I believe it is more designed for guitar. It can do some awesome sounds for guitar.
  7. Guimdonatron

Guimdonatron

I personally for the MarkBass Synth to be garbage. I tried it out at Guitar Center and I just did not like the tones. Too thin and they sounded more like synth leads than bass groove tones.

What are you wanting a synth tone for? Personally I would suggest making synth tones out of multiple pedals. Individually those pedals will function in other setting, such as funk, rock, etc., and then together as a fat synth tone. Really it's a matter of how much you'll use the synth, i.e. do you NEED to flip through presets?

Overall, I find synth generators for bass to be thin and typically generic sounding, but I also love John Davis, Juan Alderete, and Janek Gwizdala's take on "synth bass" over others.
  8. apdamron

apdamron

I generally do use multiple pedals to create the synth sounds I currently use, for example Too Close-Alex Clare, Madness-Muse, Whatever You Like-T.I.. Planning to do some songs such as Frankenstein-Edgar Winter Group, Try Again-Aaliyah, Pony-Ginuwine, etc so a pretty wide range of stuff. the g5 sounds incredibly versatile , no idea how I havent heard of these before..
  9. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

I've got the HOG. It's just ok on Bass to fairly lame, depending on how you use it. THere's a -1 and a -2 octave. The -2 octave is useless and the HOG doesn't track bass guitar notes well on this. The -1 is better and the strongest point for the HOG with regards to bass guitar. It provides a fairly good "sub" harmonic sound, but nothing stellar.

All the octaves and harmonies above the original signal are tinny and don't really sound good to me. I pretty much never use the HOG on bass, just on guitar, where it sounds fantastic. It really is a "guitar" effect, not a bass guitar effect, IMHO.
  10. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

Media:
    I just wanna go on record saying that I find this comment to be crazy town. I thought the hog was amazing on bass, and the only reason that I have not repurchase 1 it's because I'm having a hard time justifying spending that much on any piece of gear. The hog won't get you the synthesizer sound you want by itself though. Most of what you get will sound like a Hammond organ or a synthesizer string unless you use some other filters and distortions. I only regret selling 2 pieces of gear and the hog is 1 of them.
  11. apdamron

apdamron

well leaning towards getting some sort of octave standalone pedal such as the MXR bass octave/aguilar octamizer/POG2 while i frantically try to source a Korg g5 :-/
  12. Grimoire

Grimoire

The G5 is definitely the best of the all in one bass synth pedals. I have owned most of them, and it's the only one I would consider buying again.
  13. evilgabe

evilgabe Supporting Member

I love my G5 and for being plastic they are pretty durable. I've had mine for 15 years and it's still going strong. Great sounds, good tracking, and 9 presets.
  14. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Disclosures:
    AFM International Representative
    I've been having fun recently with the purchase of a used Roland V Bass. The downside is the GK3B pickup and thirteen pin cost almost as much as the used V bass unit. There are 100 patches to work with plus effects and modeling. The other down side can be having the right bass to put it on. The basses I had didn't work so I ended up with a Fender Jazz which has plenty of room for the pickup and room for the controller as well.

Wally
  15. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

Meh... didn't work for me on bass. What can I say? That's my take on it! Kudos to you on making it work.

I couldn't get it to have a good Hammond sound that I liked for bass, and I didn't think it was nearly as versatile for bass as I wanted.

One thing that I did like for it on bass was to put it in the loop for the Super Ego. That sounded great, and created nice drones to solo over. However, that was just sort of a one-trick pony while I played a solo bass piece or jammed along with just drums and bass, and took up way too much space while only being used pretty rarely.

It's still in good use, but with guitar, not bass.[/2 cents]
  16. cycler

cycler

Gave up on all the pedals and now use a Moog Little Phatty with a Lehle ABC box. Sometimes a Bring an Axiom 25 and laptop and play synth bass via Mainstage. It's all about the gear....
  17. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

You could probably get a few neat sounds out of the gear you have. Maybe add an MXR octave deluxe.
  18. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

Media:
    It is your opinion and I wasn't trying to call you wrong, just wanted to let the OP know that it wasn't consensus (although 'crazy town' may not have been the best turn of phrase). There are many reasons not to own a HOG, size of the pedal not least among them, but I've never played another pedal that I could get so much out of.

Sort of on topic: This thread is making me want a G5, which is unfortunate because I don't really have LPB-1 moneys.
  19. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

EH Bass Micro Synth is what I use. It's a terrific pedal and unlike the Markbass it's analog. I've never liked the Boss Synth very much.
  20. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Source Audio BETA tester
    Check out my various sound sample pages to hear synth tones from different boxes. Link in signature below.
  21. apdamron

apdamron

got the MXR288 and this thing is helping me create some pretty ridiculous sounds. been switching pedal order around a lot and can't seem to decide, theres pros and cons to each variation. latest iteration goes
    octave deluxe-> darkglass b3k -> BEF Pro-> MXR87 compressor -> MWBD Pro -> RV-5 reverb