1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Bass thoughts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SilverandBass, Apr 8, 2014.

1. SilverandBass

SilverandBass

Apr 8, 2014
    Boston
  2. Love the sound,don't like the triangle inlays or the ergonomics.

That's all I got..........

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. anavar

anavar

Oct 10, 2013
    expensive. kinda ugly.

but looks are subjective, so yeah. What are you going to use it for?

5. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2007
    near Mt. Rainier
  6. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    I like mine. I like my 4001 better, but no problems with either. They're not for everyone, and don't pretend to be. And, that's about all I got. :)

7. Metalmaster6254

Metalmaster6254

Apr 9, 2014
    Pretty expensive thats what I say, and the body looks a tad ugly

8. Andy D

Andy D

Jun 18, 2011
    Bay Area
    I've never heard, prior to this thread, anybody call the Ric 4000 body design "ugly". Pass me some of what you're smoking. 99% of audience members will "Ooo" and "Aaahh" when you pull it out of the case, because they're bored stiff with constantly seeing J and P basses. Soundwise, Rics do their own thing, and I think it's stupendous, with either flats or rounds.

9. nubs

nubs

Mar 1, 2005
    Wisconsin
    I love my 4003. IMO nothing ugly about it. Plays great. Vuts through the mix. Will own it always. Will be getting the 4003w as well

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    Groom Lake, NV
    Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  11. OldDirtyBassist

OldDirtyBassist

Mar 13, 2014
    I've never heard any bass, no matter how expensive, sustain like a 4001-4003. They're beautiful basses. I've never seen one with a finish or construction/assembly flaw.

Cons: Ric's are too hard to intonate. The pickups seem to go bad after about 15 years. It's especially difficult to slap on a 4003. I hate binding.

12. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    If I could get that sound in a 24 fret 5 string, I would be a very happy bass player.

13. Wallace320

Wallace320

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
  14. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

But only of the audience consists of 1 bass player...and even then 1% of him will hate it. I've gigged my Ric for over 30 years and most audience members don't give a rats...

I love it though, and that's all that matters...

And even then I hate the bridge.

15. DiabolicLow B

DiabolicLow B Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    No thanks, I always wanted a Ric until I played a few.

16. Wallace320

Wallace320

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    I enjoyed both playin' it fingerstyle, like I usually do, and its dual output (I know and love for I own two Yamaha Sheehan's Attitude limited) but I almost immediately felt uncomfortable with the simple idea of settin' its bridge, the friend/owner of that one describin' it as an authentic PITA!

Cheers,
    Wallace

17. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens
    I think they're pretty. I don't like playing them.

18. Dakotah

Dakotah

Dec 21, 2011
    Port Richey,FL
    To each his own,I like mine.Has a lot of versatility.Picked up an older one once and hated it,was set up all screwy,store didn't even bother cleaning it up! Bought a new 4003 in 2012 and a few minor adjustments and it plays great.

19. Mojo8ass

Mojo8ass Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Got one. Tried to love it. The neck wasn't for me and the E string was always weaker than the others, no matter how was adjustments I made. Traded it and haven't looked back.

20. Titania

Titania Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Shirley, MA
    I have one. It's my favorite bass...the one I will never sell. It's by far the most pedal-friendly of my basses. Sounds good with just about everything (except the Billy Sheehan pedal) and sustains for ages.

Off all the basses I play out with, the one that gets commented on by audience folks is the Rick.

21. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Kraft Dinner, Michelob Ultra and Herradura Tequila
    +1

They look awesome, sound good but kill my forearm.

An iconic bass, I have owned a couple, but not for everyone to say the least.