1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bass Trainer App?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by basscooker, Dec 1, 2013.

1. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Is there one? I don't have a smartphone, I actually have a quite dumb phone. A friend of mine asked me about it, and I really don't know. Seems like a really good idea though, most people have a bit of a music library on their phone already, why not have a trainer app?

I figure there's got to be some, so has anybody found a better one/ is there a crappy one to avoid/ etc...

Thanks!

2. jdb72

jdb72 Supporting Member

If you looking for any bass training there is a great online site that is packed with info for free and is awesome.
    Scotts Bass Lessons Online.
    Google play has a lot but I would suggest Scotts!

3. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Well, no. I mean like the trainer units. They allow you to take a recording and slow it down, maintaining the correct pitch, so you can rehearse trickier parts slowly and gradually increase the tempo to full. I know there's a way to use windows media to do it, but just figured that for those folks with irigs, or whatever, to interface with their phone, that there would be an app that allows you to do this. Tascam makes one for mp3 format, but my friend doesn't want another gadget, just wanted to know if there's an app.

4. jcanderson

jcanderson

I use JamUp on my iPhone and iPad. Pretty basic, but it lets me load a song, slow it down while maintaining the pitch, and selectively loop. For me it's been a huge help.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Thanks! are there others that you've tried that you didn't like? Is that one only for the apple stuff?

7. jcanderson

jcanderson

That's the only one I've tried. I was looking for something to help me learn songs, and I found it mentioned in one of the TB posts. It does what I need, so I haven't looked any further.

Although JamUp contains a number of functions, it's only the "jam" feature that I use. And I don't play through the device (which I think you can do). I just hook my iPad up to my stereo and play The song I've loaded into JamUp through its speakers while I play my bass through my bass amp.

8. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Do you know if it only works with "istuff" or with android tablets and smartphones too?

9. jcanderson

jcanderson

I suspect it's only usable on iStuff.

10. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Bummer. I'll tell him about it, though. There's bound to be others...;)

11. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

My android allows me to change the speed of the song to either half, normal, 1.5, and 2x speed with the default Music Player app. A quick search of the google play store reveals at least 10 different speed changing apps.

12. ics1974

ics1974

Amazing slow downer for iphone

13. tomersg

tomersg

14. mrclavet

mrclavet

Anytune Pro is good too. $10 I think in the app store

15. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Cool, thanks guys. Like I said in the initial post, I haven't gotten that far yet. I haven't ever had that kind of device. No tablets either, so going looking for that stuff is not something I know about. I will mention that his phone may already have what he needs, and that there are others easily found. Ideally, though, a way to play both the reduced speed recording and his bass or guitar through the device and the same headphones is what would be best, and not needing an amplified source for either the phone or the instrument.

16. JustForSport

JustForSport

Pretty sure the Korg Pandora, even the 'Mini' do all that, and a Lot More.
    I've got a couple and lots more to them than I use.
    Check out their site for the details.