1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bass VI pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mofo-Kang, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Mofo-Kang

Mofo-Kang Supporting Member

What pickups would you guys suggest for a USA Custom Guitars replica of the Fender Bass VI? If I understand right, they essentially use stratocaster pickups... well, that doesn't really help narrow things down, LOL. What sort of characteristics would you look for in a guitar pickup that's going to be used on a bass? What pickups fit the bill?
  2. Mofo-Kang

no one has any thoughts?
  3. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

If you email Fender they might just tell you what pups are in the thing. :)

Or contact Lindy Fralin or someone else who specializes in reproducing old pickups.
  4. musicelectronix

musicelectronix

Disclosures:
    Lead Designer, Zeibek Boutique Pedals
    I don't know if I understand correctly, but you are trying to install a guitar pickup to a bass? Or you are talking about a baritone guitar?
  5. James Hart

James Hart

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    a Bass VI... it's a bass... like Jack Bruce used some during the Cream days

[​IMG]

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-11/1227628/Cream0001.jpg
  6. James Hart

James Hart

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  7. Mofo-Kang

It's a 30" scale 6-string bass, tuned like a guitar but one octave down. There's a huge array of single-coil stratocaster pickups out there, and I'm asking for advice about ones that people think would be best for this instrument. I'm not necessarily looking to make one that sounds exactly like the real thing, though I'm not necessarily opposed to that, either. What do people think? Lace sensor Hot Gold? Dimarzio SDS-1? Duncan strat Quarter-Pounders? Seymour Duncan also makes lipstick tube single-coils that might look nice, but would they sound right?
  8. Dead Horse

Dead Horse

The pickups are not single coil strat but some
    Custom Jaguar Single-Coil Pickups (Middle Pickup is Reverse Wound/Reverse Polarity).
    Take a look on Seymour Duncan Pickups for Jaguar, you must find some.
  9. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

10. Mofo-Kang

The Texas Specials seem to be one of the more popular choices with these projects. Thanks, that's the sort of feedback I was looking for. Is it better to go with hotter pickups or no? Would that give a clearer bottom-end, or the opposite?
  11. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

"Hot" pickups tend to sound muddy with a bass IME, so I would avoid them, and also avoid Strat pickups with ceramic bar magnets.

I tried and took notes on alnico rod Strat pickups with the following specs in a short scale solid body bass :
    A) 4.80K (wire unknown, probably 42)
    B) 6.38K, 43 awg
    C) 7.70K, (about 5+K of 42 with about 2.5K of 43 added)
    D) 10.79K, 43 awg

Short reviews:

Switching pickups A and B, I prefered A at the bridge and B at the neck to A at the neck and B at the bridge

B at the neck and C at the bridge was my favorite, it sounded real good

D sounded muddy, less defined

It would also be worth your trouble to try different caps with and without pots.

You should also consider the rw/rp deal, for example, with the Texas Special set you'd need to use the middle pickup with either one of the others so it won't sound bad when both are on. I think I've read they're wound with 43, but can't say for sure.

You could also try various cheap Strat pickups from ebay.

What's the deal with 43? I don't know, but the Fender SCPB pickups are wound with 42 and very similar to Strat pickups and people are changing those left and right...and some still aren't happy.

Edit: I've never used Texas Specials in anything, so that's just a guess on my part.
  12. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh

Just got a Bass VI ... reviving an old thread since I`m looking at the same situation ...thanks