1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bass VI players: How do you amp yours?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by yonoid_man_man, Jan 6, 2014.

1. yonoid_man_man

yonoid_man_man

I play a Schecter Ultra VI, and I like the sound of running it through bass amps as well as guitar amps. However, I notice pros and cons when I play through each.

So, all you Bass Sixer's out there: which do you prefer and why?

Attached Files:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Why not use both? A lot of folks do a blend with a Bass VI so they get the best of both worlds.

3. yonoid_man_man

yonoid_man_man

I personally do use both, I'm personally an ampeg fan, running both an SVPCL bass bass pre and a vh140c guitar combo. I'd like to get an AB/Y switcher, which would increase the awesomeness of the setup, although, I'd also like to separate the combo into a separate amp/cab. What's your amp of choice for this setup, JimmyM? I'd like to get a big list/consensus of what people are using, because I haven't found too much on this particular topic.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I don't have a Bass VI, but the bass part would definitely be handled by an Ampeg. And since I have a Fender Super Reverb, I would likely use it with the lows rolled off and let the bass amp take the brunt of the lows. But really, it doesn't matter what specific amps you use. If you use an ABY, though, you might consider getting a buffer pedal to boost your signal since it'll be split in half between the two amps.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. yonoid_man_man

yonoid_man_man

When I was originally looking for a guitar amp that would sound good with a bass vi, I was told by numerous people that a fender red knob twin was the one to have.
    I was also told that solid state would sound better with a bass vi, because you'd get more clarity out of the guitar.
    I found/decided on an ampeg vh140c because they were infamous with death metallers, and in my mind that meant the amp and speakers would handle low tunings exceedingly well. Luckily, the clean channel sounds great on it for those who aren't into the insane OD channel.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Your rig sounds good to me, though I don't buy into that SS sounds better for bass business for a second. However, it can sound very good.

8. yonoid_man_man

yonoid_man_man

I don't think whomever told me that meant it as a generalization, just about sounding a little cleaner for the bass vi. Personally, I was looking for a really transparent, crisp guitar sound, and SS amps were suggested for me. Although I can't say I'd turn someone down if they offered me a tube amp. In fact, I'm beginning to find that I highly prefer tube amps to the SS ones.

But in retrospect, the muddiness I was experiencing wasn't coming from the amp but from the junky stock pups that came in the ultra vi. They sound really dull and lifeless, so I was having trouble finding an amp that would make my Schecter sound like more like a guitar and less like a thuddy bass. I'm working on fixing that problem as we speak, I'm trying some new mini hums in it soon, they're in the mail. If they don't work, I'm going to move up to full-size humbuckers.

Either way, I got a great amp or two out of the deal, although the VH-140C is notorious for being temperamental and buggy.

9. yonoid_man_man

yonoid_man_man

Also, I think Radial Makes some AB/Y switches that have built-in buffers.

10. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Natural sound of a bass VI, IMO.

I've been running mine through my V4 or SVT and my 8x10 at practice, through a reverb rocket at home.

The radial bigshot ABY does this fairly well.

11. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    I've always wanted a Bass VI, and I would probably stick to more of a guitar tone if I had one. Duane Eddy used one ( a Dano ) on alot of his earlier recordings, through a Magnatone amp. True vibrato is it's claim to fame. I would also want a whammy bar, like the Eastwood Sidejack VI. There is a great video of Ed Frieland playing one on You Tube. Cool sound.

12. yonoid_man_man

yonoid_man_man

Is it the strings? I've always wondered what a couple of hot guitar humbuckers would do to that sound. I mean, those Meshuggah guys tune their 8 strings that low all the time, and they get that searing, clangy guitar tone, and not a muddled bass tone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EHLjxZ4AIs

I bet that gets a great sound, coreyfyfe. I've been wanting to try a V4. What kind of sound do you get from both? Old Ampegs rule, IMHO.
    I use the small combo setup I pictured above at home (VH140 + 2x10 bass cab), and run a bi amp setup with the VH140C with another 2x12 extension cab on one side, and my Bass amp thru a Powerhouse 4x10 through the other side. I'd stack my 2x10 on top of the Powerhouse if I could, but the impedances don't match up. :scowl:

13. yonoid_man_man

yonoid_man_man

jnewmark, I'll look up some of Duane Eddy's stuff. Those Magnatone amps are supposed to be pretty sweet, but I've also heard horror stories about those too.

14. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

I think it's a combination of the scale length, tuning, string gauge, pickups, and bridge design, but I've also got one of the squier VM VIs and haven't tried the schecter. Some guitar humbuckers might get you into more guitar-like territory, but those 8 string guitars still have standard guitar gauge strings once you get above the low strings, they're going to sound thinner.

The V4 is a very aggressive amp and with the bass VI and drive you can get a nice crunchy tone even through a bass amp. With the SVT and playing finger style you'd forget you weren't listening to a non-standard bass. Either can be dialed and adjusted to fit the other sound as well, but the mids/highs of the V4 work a little better for the higher parts IMO.

15. jnewmark

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    A couple of his Bass VI cuts: Tiger Love and Turnip Greens, Because They're Young, and, Kommotion.

16. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

I run my sixes through a tube pre-amp that I designed feeding a Carvin DCM1000L into a 4Ω Acme B2 per channel. Sounds really nice. :D

17. Forrrest

Forrrest

I've got a pawn shop Bass VI and wish I could get it to sound more like a guitar. I should change up the pickups I guess

18. jnewmark

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    Here's a video of the Eastwood Sidejack Bass VI. Pretty adaptable.

19. yonoid_man_man

yonoid_man_man

Forrest, what amp do you use? I know I've personally tried every setting I can think of on mine and can't quite get the sound I'm looking for.

I recently replaced the 12AU7s in my SVPCL preamp with 12AX7s to see if I could get a nice high gain tube sound out of it, so I was testing my guits and basses through it to see what it sounded like. As soon as I plugged in my VI, a moment of clarity came to me about it. Where everything else gave me loads of ugly OD through that setup, the Ultra VI gave me the same lifeless sound that it always did, with about an 8dB cut in output than any of my other guitars or basses. That's when I realized that those pups were useless. The tube OD from the 12AX7s in the place of the 12AU7s didn't sound good at that, but it helped me realize how junky the electronics in that guitar are.

On cheaper guitars, I usually find the pups and/or electronics aren't generally of the highest quality. I think some good hot single coils would make that Squier VI of yours sing. I just got some mini hums in the mail today with the plan of replacing the pups on my Ultra VI, but I guess The mini hums I ordered aren't the same size as the Filtertron clones that came in the guitar. I may just go ahead and rerout for full size humbuckers. It seems there are more options for the bigger pups than there are for the mini hums.

20. D.M.N.

D.M.N.

I play my MIJ VI through a Sunn 1200s, an old one, not the Fender version. Totally different sound than a Precision through the same amp, but I like it, I don't want it to sound exactly like my other basses. Can't really dial out that "thunk" it has unless I crank the bass knob and turn the treble control way down. I like adding reverb to the sound as well, adds nice depth. I've also played it through my M-Audio Mobile Pre to record with, and it sound WAY bassier direct like that. If I were recording with it, I'd like to get one of those Phil X Evil Robot C30 amps for my distorted sound, and run it next to a Sunn 2000s/200s. I'd also like to run it through one of those Fender FSR Deluxe Reverb heads from last year, into a JBL loaded cab.

21. yonoid_man_man

yonoid_man_man

This stuff is great, keep em comin'!

D.M.N., I use my PreSonus and M-Audio interfaces pretty frequently, and I agree, everything sounds really different from those than they do from amps. Generally speaking, when I'm playing my SubContra, the interfaces sound better than the amps, probably because the interfaces are attenuated for 20Hz-20,000kHz, and most bass amps are only attenuated for a much frequency spectrum. and since that Low C# sits at like 17Hz, it tends to work a little better for me there.