1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bass volume control

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GRAHAM SG1, Nov 22, 2012.

1. GRAHAM SG1

GRAHAM SG1

How do YOU use your volume control on your bass ?

I was a guitarist for many years before switching to bass a few years ago and always used the volume control (on the instrument not the amp) fully dialled in the belief that it sends the optimum signal to the amp, (apart from when using the control as a violin type effect) I still use it this way on bass .
    I just wondered what others do with the volume knob ?
  2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Occasionally I'll do swells with a delay. I don't use that effect often enough to justify having a volume pedal. I'll sometimes turn down on the bass a hair if it's a softer song.
  3. carlis

carlis

I always max out the volume. I superglue my volume knobs at the maximum position so that they won't move at all afterwards.

...kidding but I am really tempted to do so. You know, Anthony Jackson's basses have no knob at all (and he feeds his instrument into a volume pedal...though)

[​IMG]

and the opposite version is John Myung's bass, on which all but the volume knob are "hammered" in and locked in the middle position.

[​IMG]
  4. tabdog

tabdog

It depends on the song.

If it is a song that builds in volume at the
    end, I'll start with the volume rolled back
    a little and then turn it up as the song builds
    in intensity. That helps keep me from getting
    completely burried when the guitars max out.
    On most slow songs, or songs that don't get
    so intense at the end, I'll keep the volume full
    on and increase and decrease intensity by
    how hard I play.

There are other times I'll use volume and
    on board controls for some other desired
    effect. I've never used a volume peddle.
    The bass I'm use to playing has a versatile
    18 volt pre and I don't need a peddle.

Tabdog
  5. Wallace320

Wallace320

I come from electric guitar, and there been adviced using volume knob just like that
    Especially talkin' about passive electric guitars
    On bass I can, or better, I have to keep volume knob fully up,
    'cause, much like on guitars, I retain a crowded pedalboard, so
    I just need no more than "2" on head volume/gain to literally bury drums and dual active seven strings dowtunin' guitars...

Cheers,
    Wallace
  6. Jwood

Jwood Supporting Member

I keep the volume cranked and roll it back when needed.
  7. eukatheude

eukatheude

I have two volumes. Usually i crank the bridge up to 10 and the neck around 7-ish.
  8. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    If I am playing a ballad, I back the volume off a bit. If I am playing something upbeat or heavy I play with my bass at close to full.
  9. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

I don't play at less than maximum but I do roll off down to zero if I want to fade a sustained note out with less of a dramatic stop than simply muting the string.

On my VVT P/J the volume controls are effectively used for pickup selection.
  10. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I usually keep it cranked, and turn down on the amp or on an MXR80 preamp. Actually, I keep it around 9 or so just in case I want to bump it up during a song. The main reason is that some of my pedals (like an envelope filter and an octaver) seem to have more trouble tracking if they're not getting a full signal from the bass.
  11. xroads

xroads

I play guitar and bass, and use the volume knob extensively on both. If you dial in a good amp to distortion, you can go from clean to overdrive just using the volume knob on the guitar.
    One problem with guitars/basses: often dialing back the vol control eats away treble; this can be solved by a treble bleed circuit.
  12. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

I don't use my volume control much. Of course my two main basses are both active and the volume control has no effect on tone. At home I just dial the bass and the amp volume controls to a comfortable level and play. The setting on each varies from night to night at random. My only gig is playing at church and there I plug into a DI box and my signal makes the long journey to the spaceship control panel at the back of the auditorium where a team of Star Fleet cadets does whatever they wish no matter what I do on the bass. I control my volume by how hard I play -- if they let me!! So basically I use the volume control as an on/off switch. It is full up when I play and full down when I am not playing so that I don't inadvertently band a string during a quiet moment and put the fear of God into people with a kW level CLUNK as one of our other bassists did last night at our Thanksgiving service! Putting the fear of God into the congregation is the preacher's job!

Ken :D
  13. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

On bass, the volume is almost always wide open, and I control dynamics with my hands. Set the amp so it's got the volume needed for the loudest part, and use hands to control.

On guitar however I use the volume controls a lot! Partly because if you have it wide open all the time, the way it hits the preamp and in turn the way any overdrive sounds is just too much. Also, like EVH, I LIKE how the volume control on most guitars affects the tone.

John
  14. mpdd

mpdd Supporting Member

i need to back off on the volume considerably, or my sb-2 is just too much output, but for the fenders and gibsons and voxes i always turned them all of the way up
  15. The Birdman

The Birdman

I always set up my volume knob (or knobs, on a Jazz Bass), to around 3/4 of max, so that I have some leeway to tweak the volume up if I need it during a gig. I set the eq and volume before the gig planning on that. The volume knob on my amp is usually not handy, so it gives me some control.

Roger
  16. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    All open, all the time, except:
    -shut between songs, sometimes
    -rolled back to 70% or so, for some exceptionally quiet passages where I want to be able to play a little harder for better note definition, but still maintain lower volume
  17. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

I usually leave mine all the way up, except for my G&L L2000 which I have to turn down a little because the pickups are so hot.