Bass Wah/effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dadday07, Feb 21, 2014.

1. dadday07

dadday07

I posted a thread on this subject a while back and I'm looking for some feed back. I play a Schecter Omen 5 bass through an Ampeg rig. I use a local made overdrive pedal and I want a wah. I use to have the Crybaby 105Q Bass Wah, I liked it. However I have had my eye on a Morley PBA-2 Dual Bass Wah and am wondering which one I should get for my style of playing. Cliff Burton was a huge influence on me and I loved his wah sound and I'm pretty sure his wah of choice was Morley. Any and all serious advice would be appreciated, thanks.

2. dadday07

dadday07

Also, I would like to find a good bass chorus pedal. Any suggestions for a good bass chorus pedal on a low budget?

3. Pastrami

Pastrami

As is often recommended, check out wilson wahs, they sound phenomenal and the prices are very reasonable.

The freaker wah I especially dig.

http://www.wilsoneffects.com/

4. dadday07

dadday07

Will do, thanks.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. voodoobassist

voodoobassist

Check my Morley tm Stevens wah and boss flanger in the classifieds. Nice wah and not a bad deal for both IMHO ;)

7. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

If you're looking for a Cliff Burton type of wah sound the only thing that will do it is an old Morley Power Wah. They have an insane amount of sweep. The new Morleys don't get even close to it IMO. I have an old Morley Power Wah Boost and it's awesome. It's just gigantic and the bypass is terrible.

I have heard that the Mark Tremonti and the Power Wah are the closest out there to the old PW, but they still aren't really that close. I've found that the Crybaby 105Q has more sweep and gets me closer than the newer Morleys do...

8. dadday07

dadday07

I'm starting to lean more toward the Crybaby 105Q, I used to have one and I liked it. Probably get another one. I still kinda want a good Bass Chorus, at a low price. Anybody know of any that fit the bill?

9. dadday07

dadday07

What about a comparison of the Crybaby 105Q bass wah versus the Crybaby GCB-100 bass wah?

10. Rickenmonster

Rickenmonster Supporting Member

I love the Tech21BassBoostChorus but it ain't cheap. I've got a Boss Chorus (CEB-3) that you can have for cheap. PM me if you're interested.

11. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

After seeing the Marcus Miller rig rundown I'm kinda wanting to pick up the 535Q.

As far as chorus. Theres so many out there. my favorite isn't even a chorus pedal, its the modulated setting on the hardwire reverb which is a little pricey. I've also used the digitech bass multi chorus before for more of an over the top chorus sound. They can be found really cheap, you can hear me using it with the side project I was in for a bit. the pedal actually freaks out a bit when playing odd chords, the verse part has 7ths, 9ths and 10th chords but I thought It was an interesting sound.

12. dadday07

dadday07

Thanks everybody, really some helpful tips.

13. Bassistcali

Bassistcali

I use a schecter stiletto custom EMG and cliff is also a big influence...besides distortion he used an old Morley power wah, they go for 150 at least probably... I can get fairly close to anesthesia with my ehx bassballs-he uses that to get those high squeals..its more of an envelope filter but for wah I'd get the Morley but its a lot of $$ I use an ehx crying bass the wah is pretty good and it has built in fuzz which definitely helps

14. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Malekko, MXR, Tech 21, and Boss all make some reasonably priced chorus pedals. The trick is to try them out and see what fits you best. Strangely enough, my favorite of the Boss stable isn't the "bass model" at all, but the CE-5.