1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bass whammy

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by masterkey_bass, Jan 7, 2014.

1. masterkey_bass

masterkey_bass

So with the recent digitech bass whammy re-issue news floating around I began to think to myself how much use did the original get? Im a "tool fan-boy" as some would call it and you know what? Im proud of that and ill wear it as such. BUT! Justin chancellor is the only bassist ive heard make good use of it...sooooo im starting this thread to ask all you knowledgeable effects aficionados to list any and all songs on here that make use of the *bass* whammy!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Kings Of Leon had a song on a recent album with a Whammy pedal, but I don't know if it was a Bass Whammy. Wish I could remember the name of it, but it a really cool riff. Me personally, I call the Whammy my favorite pedal that I could never find a use for ;)

3. Journey55

Journey55 Supporting Member

Didn't Tim Commerford of Rage Against The Machine use one on some songs? Calm Like A Bomb comes to mind although I'm not certain it's a Bass Whammy

4. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

Whats the Matter Jimmy couldn't find a place to use a fifth up/sixth up harmony? or Fifth up/Octave up or down harmony?

Maybe you should be playing Stoner/Psychedelic stuff like some people on this board...lol :D

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

Good example. The song is "Closer". Cool track and great bass line. I believe he uses a Boss multi (ME-50B I think) for the pitch shifting but it's the same effect as a whammy.

John Paul Jones uses a whammy type effect here:
    http://youtu.be/sGHWxLruLvA

Bootsy used a whammy with Praxis and Brian Cook uses his a bunch on the These Arms Are Snakes albums.

7. Jared Lash

Calm Like A Bomb has whammy on the guitar. The bass effects are overdrive and Wah.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    I'd do it if asked and it paid ;)

9. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah Straight out a donkey's mouth Supporting Member

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am SOOOOO buying one of these when they come out!!!

10. OnederTone

OnederTone Sucker for Sunburst Supporting Member

Anything Doug Wimbish has ever done. Check out this vid around 2:30 and on.

11. masterkey_bass

masterkey_bass

John paul jones. Wow that was incredible.

I cant believe I forgot about closer. I remember first hearing it and saying to myself "bass whammy!" And then I heard the bass line come in and thought it had to be a sample or plugin. Turns out how does play it and loops it....I think. Still I cant believe more songs arent out there with it. I guess you described it pretty well Jimmy.

12. clmayhew

clmayhew

I don't think there are a lot of examples of it being used which is probably why Digitech discontinued it in the first place. I bought mine brand new when they first came out but I think "mainstream" bass players hadn't embraced the use of too many effects at that point.

13. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj

Like, Jazz?

(LOL)

14. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc

Look up the band Lightning Bolt. Brian Gibson played his Bass Whammy throughout almost every single song, although I believe he switched over to one of the Red regular whammy's a couple years ago.

15. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

These Arms Are Snakes: Mescaline Eyes, Child Chicken Play, Seven Curtains

Russian Circles: Verses, Geneva, When The Mountain Comes to Muhammad, Philos

16. seescottrock

seescottrock Supporting Member

Isn't "Closer" the one where the bass just does the high whammy part and the synth takes the bass line? I could swear that's what I saw on some late night show.

17. Jared Lash

Makes sense that they might play it that way live. On album version it sounds like a bass recorded both parts.

18. seescottrock

seescottrock Supporting Member

I've never heard the album version. I'll have to check out out. I think that the way they get that wailing guitar sound is the coolest part about that song. Yelling into a hollow body. Neat.

19. Aquila0507

Aquila0507

I saw Lightning Bolt live and the bass player killed it with a wah. If I remember correctly, it was the Boss V-wah. Not sure what settings he used. I use a 105q for brief moments in two songs. If there is a will there is a way.

20. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

We are talking about Whammy. He does in fact rock though.