1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bass Whisperer reviews G&L MJ4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jookbox, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Jookbox

Jookbox Registered Drummer

Looks like a sweet bass:

2. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

His reviews make everything sounds great! His Big Al review made me go out and buy one.

3. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

I know, right?

I've had my MJ-4 for a while now and I'm very impressed with it, especially after I found the right strings for my ears and playing style (TI Jazz Rounds). It performs at the same level as my Turner Electroline, but with a different voice, of course. Hard to imagine anyone not liking the MJ-4.

I even got some pretty nice 1/4 sawn flamage with mine. No "Hamburglar" visible, but still... ;)

[​IMG]

4. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

I just wish this dude would learn how to play bass. ;)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

I agree with everything Ed Friedland says about the MJ-4. I think it is as well put together as a Sadowsky Metro and sounds just as good too. If G&L did this in a five, I sell everything I have to get one.

When I first played this bass, I was so impressed I made a video of it, but for some reason, I could not upload it to YouTube.

7. SRFSterling5

SRFSterling5 Gold Supporting Member

I think he plays okay to me. Plus he's taking a lot of time to do the videos. Ed, you da man!

8. bassbenj

bassbenj

Just OK? Dude you need to rethink that word... Ed IS da man!

9. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

I think the first guy was being sarcastic, but I like the fact that he doesn't just wank on the basses he reviews. I'm glad the you tube guys can double thumb and play machine gun triplets, but it doesn't tell me much about how th bass will sound in my hands. Ed's got paying gigs out the a$$ so, I don't think anyone is worried about his playing ability.

on the the bass. I'm surprised that the eq points are so extreme for the bass and treble adjustment. 40hz and 8khz is extreme rumble and sizzle range.

it's funny that Ed's intro says his recording gear rolls off the sub 40 rumble, because it's n area of the spectrum that causes all kinds of issues with mix quality and sucks a lot of headroom. so the bass control boosts in the exact range that a lot of recording engineers and sound guys want to get rid of. :)

10. edfriedland

edfriedland Supporting Member

I thought the EQ points were unusual when Paul Gagon (the guy that designed the pre) mentioned them, but it sounds great! The pre works very well "with itself", the frequencies don't sound like they overlap much... Each band feels like it works it's own range. The mids in particular I find VERY useful! BTW - the Aguilar OBP-3 also lists 40Hz as the bass frequency center.

11. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

That bass sounds so good! I really want it! Great review ED!

12. sevdog

sevdog Supporting Member

Man, with both pickups it wasn't really jumping out at me as something new or very interesting but the pickups solo'd (both the neck and bridge) and WHOA! That thing sounds mean, baby. This one is going on the list.

13. RED J

RED J Play what you want how you want & quit arggerin ! Supporting Member

Ed is indeed the man, and this bass is incredible. His review on the JB-2 rustic was killin' as well, I'm impressed just smiling and chuckling through the whole thing. Gonna go back and cop a few of those licks to pull me out of a rut too!

14. Jookbox

Jookbox Registered Drummer

I don't even like woodgrain basses that much, but that's a great looking and sounding bass. Before I got my USA Jazz this year I was advised to try out G&L first, and I kinda wish I had.

15. SRFSterling5

SRFSterling5 Gold Supporting Member

Funny how the printed message gets taken the wrong way. Par for the course on the internet. I misinterpreted
    the sarcasm of the first guy. Plus I was being just as sarcastic. I've been watching all of his videos and there's
    A lot of stuff in them that helped me decide on what to look for in a bass. Yeah he may have certain preferences,
    which all of us do, but the reviews are entertaining and informative at the same time.

I agree, he is da man. Looking forward to more from the Bass Whisperer.

16. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

Ed is the man; we're lucky to have him.

I was kinda ho-hum on the demo until he switched to the pick :eek:. Mama mia! Loved the pick tone. I've never heard a bass seem to change personality so much between finger and pick. I'm largely a pick player myself, so this got my attention.

/rick

17. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Great G&L & very nice Demo Video. I will be getting the 5 string ASAP. I was blown away by the tone with Pick/Neck Pickup combination.

18. MisterFabulous

MisterFabulous

Midrange. Midra-ra-ra-range.

19. Rosebud

Rosebud Supporting Member

nice vid, G&L 4Ever

20. LutherHeggs00

LutherHeggs00 Supporting Member

Good review. Too bad they chose to use the JB 2 body instead of their JB (4?) body which I personally prefer.

21. edfriedland

edfriedland Supporting Member

Maybe they can be convinced to offer the same pre/pickups in the JB body...