1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bass wiring issues

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by HalfPlayer, Jul 25, 2013.

1. HalfPlayer

HalfPlayer

I have a MIM Fender standard p bass and i got it used on ebay and my problem is that when i mess with the knobs, mainly the volume knob, my bass just stops giving noise and then i mess with it a bit more and it starts working again, im wondering if this is just a small problem with the wires that can be soldered.

2. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

You certainly want to make sure all of the internal connections are solid. But it sounds more like a bad volume knob to me. It's called a "potentiometer" which is basically a variable resistor. You can try some contact cleaner in the pots, or just try replacing them.

[​IMG]

If you replace them, you can order it direct from the manufacturer or perhaps your local music store can help you.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

3. eddododo

eddododo

I agree with the above..
    In the meantime, alot of us are always willing to stare at pictures of bass guts, but its almost certainly the pot(s), as a wire short wouldn't come back 'on' so conveniently