1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bass with a whammy bar?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RapierSix, Jan 26, 2008.

1. RapierSix

RapierSix

Has any one ever owned, played, moded, a bass to/that have/had a tremolo bar?

I'm really interested with how it would turn out.
    Washburn makes one but I haven't played it and I won't buy it because 1. It could be crap 2. Tremolo problems (ie. Licensed Floyd Rose Locking, untuning etc)...
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Years ago when I was young and stupid I had a Kahler bass whammy bar bridge professionally installed on a quality bass. The result was terrible.

It wouldn't stay in tune, ever. It was pretty useless for anything but radical "dive bomb" effects, and when you did that not only did it go severely out of tune, but it would snap strings at the bridge rollers because the bass strings were too stiff and would weaken at that point.

I know Victor Wooten has a whammy bar on one of his Fodera's, but for the life of me I've never seen him use it.
  3. Steve

Steve Supporting Member

Barry Dunaway used to have a whammy bass and he could flat-out burn that thing up.

It was astounding what he could do with that thing.
  4. tplyons

tplyons

I had a BC Rich Warlock with a Kahler trem. It was fun, but really not that useful.

One day I'll have a whammy on a Jazz bass, but that'll be the day when I have money to burn.
  5. neurotictim

neurotictim

Les Claypool's got them on a few of his basses. Carl Thompsons, I think. He uses them lightly, IIRC, mostly for effects.
  6. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

claypool has a whammy bar on one of his ct's, does he not?

i don't know how i feel about them personally. i don't think i'd install one, but then again, i also don't think i'd use it if i did so to each his own i guess.
  7. inasilentway

inasilentway

I played an old Italian semi-hollow bass with a single cutaway (sort of ES-175-shaped) that someone had installed a Bigsby, of all things, on to. It was cool in an "I will never use this" sort of way.
  8. routasydän

routasydän

I have a Kahler trem on my AV custom fretless. I knew when ordering that it'll not get that much real use but i got it for a toy to play if you know what i mean. It's nice with vibratos, kind of makes them deeper or something. So to sum it up, i think it's ok for soloing (but i should practice more to make it really worth it)but for normal playing in band, i really don't see much of use for it. But it looks cool:D, and since there are no pictures in this thread yet...

[​IMG]
  9. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Wizardry! Supporting Member

Just got one on a pbass yesterday.
  10. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

I have had mine since they first came out 80's? and stays in tune, but I do have strings break from time to time, but only under really aggressive pulling or on older strings.
  11. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

[​IMG]

I did not care for the 6 string version- too much tension/springs to make it really responsive as my four string version.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. spade2you

spade2you

[​IMG]

I wouldn't say they're useless or a horrible thing to have. If you want something as responsive as a guitar's Floyd Rose trem, bass trems don't do that.

I've got one and I'm about to order another. Mine stays in tune and I haven't had problems with string breakage. As a 35" scale, it has a pretty good deal of tension on it. So mine isn't quite as agile as it would be if I had it installed in a normal 34" scale bass. My next bass with a Kahler will be a 33" scale. The only real downside is that I can't flip between E and D with a Hipshot Detuner.
  13. bassrique

bassrique

Anybody ever play with a Steinberger Tansstem?
  14. hansahol

hansahol

Well,you can.If you use the Camstop Bolt to prevent the tremolo from going backwards,you can use a Hipshot detuner

Hans Å

Attached Files:

15. spade2you

spade2you

True, but then I can't use it to yank back on the trem and bend up.
  16. Hoover

Hoover

Tony Levin used a MusicMan Stingray equipped with a Kahler for King Crimson's Three Of A Perfect Pair tour (and presumably also for that album).
  17. spade2you

spade2you

Dave LaRue used to have Ernie Ball and Spector basses with Kahlers. Almost forgot about that.
  18. grace & groove

grace & groove

Disclosures:
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    I have a Hipshot Floating Bass Tremolo bridge on my Peavey along with Dimarzio J's. It's fun to play with. Distortion/Artificial Harmonics/Dive Bomb technique is the best!

[​IMG]
  19. no1likesme

no1likesme

my gretsch g5265 came with a bigsby.
  20. RapierSix

RapierSix

So is Khaler THE bass tremolo brand?

I'm really just worried with the general mechanics of the tremolo working on a bass, with string tension, spring stretching, messing up tuning (I've been looking for a guitar and I notice alot of guitarist always complain about detuning and floyd rose locking etc), and how much use you can get out of it (Not only for soloing, but how much you can really safley bend the notes, because is it really worth it if you could only bend it one note higher etc?).

Any one know how custom orders where they have the drop down boxes but it doesn't segregate for bass and guitar (So you could say order a Dean razorback body, bass bridge, floyd rose locking, an EMG Neck guitar PUP, and a bass soapbar on the bridge) and you ask for a tremolo system on the bass... Will they just ignore it or try and do it?