1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bassass Bridge ii for Jazz Bass installation

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Lazarevicmass, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Lazarevicmass

Lazarevicmass

Hey! I just got a new Bassass Bridge ii, grooved, for my MIA Jazz bass. The installation seems pretty straight forward, is that any recommendation, or tips that i should follow during the installation? I'm waiting for the Thomastik strings to come in. Thanks!
  2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

1: Remove stock bridge
    2: Replace with BAII using the screws that held the stock bridge in place.
    3: Set up and intonate with your new strings

That is all...
  3. Oldworldman

Oldworldman

+1 On this. You will love the difference! Can you say sustain?

Good luck.

:bassist:
  4. Lazarevicmass

Lazarevicmass

OldWorldman
    I cant wait, i just got this MIA Jazz bazz, i'm changing the pickguard, for a diferent color, the string, for a Thomastik Roundwound, the neck plate, for the one that says " Fender Corona California ", but this bridge is enormous, i can wait till i have it all together, probably in a week....
  5. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

Whoa there, buddy...

If this is a string thru US Jazz, you'll need to get the Badass III for a drop in replacement. Otherwise, you'll have to plug holes and redrill.
  6. vince a

vince a

My MIA Jazz sustains forever . . . I played a note last Thursday, and I can still hear it ringing out in the case. Seriously, it's a good bridge . . . I'd do or have done a really good setup on it first!

BTW . . . I agree with landau roof regarding the BA III - IF - your bass is a 2003 and newer . . . BA II if not . . .
  7. Lazarevicmass

Lazarevicmass

So you dont think, .045 - .105 string set, wont fit in the Badass Bridge string holes?
  8. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

Picking up on the good point landau roof made: We need to know if your bass is a string thru body instrument, or a top load (thru bridge only) style.
    BAII for top load, BAIII for string thru body
  9. Lazarevicmass

Lazarevicmass

Its a string thru stock bridge!
  10. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    Question?...are the saddles with multiple grooves or just single groove from previous owner?....I ask because if it is the multi grooved bridge, then just adjust strings so gaps and placement between pole pieces are to your liking. Just another thought. Either wise a VERY straight forward install.
  11. Lazarevicmass

Lazarevicmass

I thought the badass ii bridge had the perfect measurements to fit the holes that are already there, the MIA Jazz Bass stock bridge! Just by looking at it, looks like the holes that are there from the original bridge will fit the badass ii bridge perfect, the holes for the string goes thru the bridge, and not thru the body of the bass, i wasn't sure if the .105 would fit, or i would have to drill the hole a little bigger! Thanks!
  12. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    .105 are what I use...no problems there..
  13. Lazarevicmass

Lazarevicmass

Guys! Thanks for all the info!
  14. landau roof

Okay, just so we're on the same page because maybe you're a li'l confused and it's confusing me, this is "string thru [body]" on an American Standard Jazz, and they've been equipped like this since the '90s. The bridge has seven holes total, three for screws, four for the strings go through the body. You can also pass the strings through the bridge and not the body. If this is what you have, you need a Badass III.

[​IMG]

This is a non-string thru American Special Jazz. There are five holes in the bridge and no provisions for the strings to pass through the body. If this is what you have, you use the Badass II.

[​IMG]
  15. Turnaround

Turnaround

Disclosures:
    Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto
    Everyone has responded with advice about the Badass bridge, but the OP is asking about the Bassass bridge. Don't you get it?
  16. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Bassass and thomas' stick.
  17. landau roof

Ewww...

Now I not only feel silly, but also gross. :(
  18. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

if it's the string-through-body american standard, then the badass is no kind of upgrade at all (even the correct badass III).

if you have a top-load american special, then the grooved badass could be considered an upgrade just because it allows for proper string spacing and keeps the saddles from sliding around.

(for my money you could do the same thing with some vintage-style threaded-rod saddles, but at least it's not a step backwards.)
  19. Lazarevicmass

Lazarevicmass

The miss spelling is due to a new phone, still not used to the keys, but thanks for pointing it out!
  20. Turnaround

Turnaround

Disclosures:
    Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto
    Sorry about the cheap shot about the spelling. Couldn't resist...