BassBalls A big surprise

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Rumbledom, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Rumbledom

Rumbledom Banned

For years I've been looking for a useable EF. They're not something that can used that often but in the right place they're really dramatic. Problem is ...every one I've used (and I've used several) either altered the original signal or made the sound too "quacky." Sometimes they sound great by themseleves but when blended with the music they just didn't work.

Then I tried the BassBalls. It isn't versatile. It isn't fancy. It doesn't have many sounds or sensitivity adjustments or levels. And in a way, that's what I like. You get a nice "synthy" funk tone and that's about it. And that's working for me.

Anyone else have experience this? I don't hear a lot of love for the BB.

2. MilkyMcMilkMilk

MilkyMcMilkMilk

I tried one at the guitar store a couple weeks ago.
    Only 1 sound I like, but that sound was very cool.
    I'm definitely looking for a used one.

3. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

Media:
    It gets more versatile if you bring the internal trimpots to the top; but yes, where most EFs quack, this growls, and that's often not a bad thing.

Here's a clip of the external trimpots if you're interested in modding. Also the octave bass in my sig has a subtle bassballs sound on it.

4. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

I always think Atomic Bitchwax when I hear BassBalls.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. omie

omie

Yes! TRIMPOTS!

I have the rocktron heart attack, a bb clone. It's a nice 'not too funky' filter. I spent a little time tweaking the trims and I've got a nice range from subtle bubble to synthy laser. A distortion pedal in front made the distortion switch on the filter useful.

7. bassbrad

bassbrad

BassBalls is my favorite filter, I have 2 of the NYC reissues on my board one before the fuzz and a modded one after the fuzz. I also have the Rocktron Heart Attack that is on my small board.

8. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

sold a bassballs pedal a couple years ago. just got another last week. love this pedal.

in other news, the atomic bitchwax kicks a$$!

9. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    +1.
    I did the trim pot mod to my USA Bassballs, and it totally opens up the pedal. Being able to change those filters on the fly makes it so much more versatile.

10. fasto

fasto

you guys are talking about the Bassballs Nano, right?

11. FilterFunk

FilterFunk

It's nice to hear the Bassballs with so much "bass." My experiences with the BB and its clones have been that kind of "hollowed out" sound; apparently having the trimpots on the outside really makes a difference in tone. I still prefer a different kind of "vocal" voicing, and the distortion cuts too much for my tastes, but I wouldn't mind having a BB as a "change-up" pedal.

12. Johno Dunn

Johno Dunn

I've got a Mooer Bass Sweeper (micro BB clone) and I love it! Knobs on the front, so adjustments are no issue. Very good with low end, and I run a Green Mile (micro Tube Screamer clone) in front of it for some Funky, synth goodness!

I!

13. bassbrad

bassbrad

As far as I know all the versions can be modded to the 3 knob, which is well worth it imo but it does become a different beastie.
    The Nano version is Okay but I prefer the NYC reissue that looks like the original with an LED. Others really love the old SovTec versions either the green or black.

14. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

When you say 'top', you mean fully clockwise ? I could never figure out the best settings for the trimpots on mine,

15. Weshunter413

Weshunter413

Would I use a standard 9v power supply on the bass balls?

16. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

Media:
    No, I mean to the outside of the pedal. To make the trimpots accessible without opening the case. They can be pretty touchy and are very interactive with the sensitivity control. It is difficult to get the filter trims set just right without having their control at your fingertips at all times. I can't imagine a situation where both cranked would end up sounding good.
    Yes

17. bassbrad

bassbrad

Nor can I but there are so many possibilities with the external controls, I have been thinking how cool it might be to have those controls tied to an expression pedal for real time adjustments.

18. knumbskull

knumbskull

agreed - i got one of these and was astonished. great little pedal.

19. bassbrad

bassbrad

Sweeper! I may have to add 1 to my collection.