1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bassballs vs. Q-Tron?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tupac, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Tupac

Tupac

Which one do you think I should buy? I want to emulate the envelope filter sound on Blood Sugar Sex Magik, like this. Which one would work better for that, and which one do you think is generally better?

2. ShiftyShift

ShiftyShift

either would work well for that sound, the bassballs is much less versatile though, so I'd get the Q-Tron.

3. bassfart

bassfart Gold Supporting Member

Enigma Bass Envelope Filter by Electro Harmonix will get you that exact sound.

4. bassbrad

bassbrad

Both are very cool pedals but different kinds of envelope followers.

The Q-Tron family is a line of pedals designed by Mike Biegel, the original designer for the MuTron line, it was an updated design of the MuTron III pedal (which was stolen from him but that's another story) of which there are several variations- Q-Tron, Q-Tron+, mini Q-Tron and Micro (XO) Q-Tron. All are nice fairly wet filters that are closest to the Flea sound you are looking for which either a classic MuTron III or possible a Q-Tron was used.

The Bass Balls has 2 envelope filters one up one down that sweep past each other for a sort of flanging sound and it also has a unique fuzz circuit. The Bass Balls can be modded to allow control over the 2 filters making it more synth like. BassBalls is my all time favorite pedal and i have 2 on my board 1 is stock and the other is modded.

EHX offers several other filter pedals from the simple Dr Q to more complex like the Enigma or Micro Synth and also the rack mounted Bi-Filter.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Inconnu

Inconnu

Yup, we're talking about 2 different beasts. I think Flea's sound would be closer to a Q-Tron. I have both a Bassballs and a Mini Q-tron on my pedalboard and they both have there use, honestly. Buy one, get the other later! The Enigma Q-balls could be a good idea as well, but I never tried it (too afraid I might get GAS over it).

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

I love my Q-Tron+! That thing is a blast :)

8. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Didn't Flea use a Bassballs on Coffee Shop or am i mistaken?

9. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

Q-tron would be better for the Power of Equality tone. Bassballs would be better for the Sir Psycho tone IMO. I own both cuz they are the wins.

10. Tupac

Tupac

Good answers! That Enigma sounds interesting, I'll check it out. I had no idea EHX made so many bass effects, they only list like 5 on their bass page.

11. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Disclosures:
    playing bass since 2005
  12. Tupac

Tupac

It sounds different than his Mu he used to record, though...

13. PawleeP

PawleeP

Anyone have a diagram on modding the Bass Balls from russia? would this help make it more like an adjustable phaser or a flanger?

14. avvie

avvie

Modded BassBalls?!
    Tell me more!

15. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Supporting Member

Yep. The Enigma will get you that sound AND Sir Psycho Sexy.

16. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

17. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

The full name of the Enigma is the Enigma Q-Balls. As in, a cross between the Q-tron and Bassballs. And it kicks butt. Another vote for the Enigma!

18. PawleeP

PawleeP

Was reading a post where some one modded the Bass balls Quote:

Both are very cool pedals but different kinds of envelope followers.

The Q-Tron family is a line of pedals designed by Mike Biegel, the original designer for the MuTron line, it was an updated design of the MuTron III pedal (which was stolen from him but that's another story) of which there are several variations- Q-Tron, Q-Tron+, mini Q-Tron and Micro (XO) Q-Tron. All are nice fairly wet filters that are closest to the Flea sound you are looking for which either a classic MuTron III or possible a Q-Tron was used.

The Bass Balls has 2 envelope filters one up one down that sweep past each other for a sort of flanging sound and it also has a unique fuzz circuit. The Bass Balls can be modded to allow control over the 2 filters making it more synth like. BassBalls is my all time favorite pedal and i have 2 on my board 1 is stock and the other is modded.

EHX offers several other filter pedals from the simple Dr Q to more complex like the Enigma or Micro Synth and also the rack mounted Bi-Filter.

19. PawleeP

PawleeP

PawleeP is online now Registered User

oin Date: Oct 2012
    Does anyone know if a Bass Balls By EH is a 90 or 100 degree phaser? pp
    Also wondering why hardly any phasers have a blend knob for wet/dry

20. zfunkman

zfunkman

+1!

21. Musicman1901

Musicman1901 Supporting Member

I was a Flea fanatic for a long time and I have probably owned over a dozen filters. The bassballs in my opinion is a mediocre one trick pony. The Enigma Q balls is great but it was just too much for me. I know flea uses a q-tron for live stuff. He has used various filters in the studio. I honestly nailed the flea filter sound the best with my DODFX25. The old kermit green one with the big black knobs. Eddiebo is selling one right now in the classifieds for 85$ It's one of the best sounding filters ever. I did find it to cut my volume a little but then again I find that to be an issue with almost every filter.