Basses and gear for Sale - Serial Sellers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BozosBarber, Feb 11, 2014.

1. BozosBarber

BozosBarber

I have a question
    What's with the guys who constantly have basses and gear for sale? Do they pay more for membership or are they stealth retailers or are they just guys who use this forum as their own ebay ?

Seems like the same people always have stuff for sale
  2. MisterEd

MisterEd Supporting Member

QUICK!... QUICK!... duck down!...
  3. 73jbass

73jbass Gold Supporting Member

Some folks are gear sluts. Always trading or selling stuff. Aint no thang.
  4. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Supporting Member

Yeah - the ease with which someone can buy/sell online allows people to try things out and if something isn't a 'keeper' then offering it to others within the community is not a bad thing. Also, a lot of items tend to go from one user to another several times until they land with someone who it really fits with.

A lot of things get offered here and then only go to eBay if the community doesn't want/need what is being offered. Better to offer it within the community first, no?

Buying and flipping items to make a few bucks shouldn't be looked down upon either, as long as there is no scamming going on in terms of fakes, misleading history, etc... it's no different than buying & selling cars or toys or baseball cards - as these are ultimately "collectibles" in a sense.

Prices on talkbass are often as good or better than anywhere else online and it could be said that these gear sluts are providing a service to the forum, by going out and scouring their local craigslist, garage sales, GC used pile, etc... then making the items available to a broader group of bassists who may not otherwise find or come across what is being offered.

If you don't like what they are selling or the way a particular seller seems to operate, you're free to pass them by.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 very well said.
  7. Conzo93

Conzo93

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector basses
    It can be a thing called GAS (gear addiction syndrome) it really is an addiction. theres just some 'buzz' about getting a lovely new bass in the mail and opening it and playing it that first time that just cant be beat by even gigging, sometimes. I've been through nearly 30 basses in the last 5 years, it hurts the bank account but soothes the GAS so...take your pic I guess!
  8. Conzo93

Conzo93

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector basses
    BTW^ I didnt own all 30 basses at once of course, life just aint that kind!
  9. Dragan

Dragan

none of your business I suppose.....;)
  10. Wallace320

Wallace320

I'm friend of a few fella bass players, some are well known local professionals, some other enthusiasts just like me.

This is a first occasion of mutual know how goin' on, then comes the community.

But we're all bass players, right?

I mean: how many bass players in a band? normally just one

Like many others out there, I got started a guitar player and you know what? I often bought and sold gear within my bands back then: two guitar players, sometimes three at a time per band, so we could swap stuff out to each other well before ebay.

Even now, I play in a thrash metal and in a blues band: two guitars per band, while I'm the only bass player = way less opportunities to buy/sell stuff to a fellow guitar player.

So here comes the community

Again, I'm a bit different here too: I told I'm divorcin' so I had to get quick money every now and then. That's why, even if asked over here, I opted to place instruments in local pawns

I still own a respectable collection of instruments, includin' two MIJ Yamaha Attitude Limited II, a MIE Trace Elliot T-Bass T2 (early Precision alike) and a last year Ibanez Btb 7 stringer

But sold more basses and gear than my TB profile can contain.

So not my case, but I really think not only isn't bad to offer things here on TB, I personally find it fair instead

Cheers,
    Wallace
  11. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

I think I am in probably the top 20 of people who sell on here, so here is a reply that answers it from a perspective of a heavy buyer/seller.

I always have a few things for sale. If I was looking to make cash I wouldnt be selling here. As cool as people are to deal with here, there a little cheap errrrr I mean "well informed" on prices haha . If you're intention is to flip , even after fee's you net more on eBay and you're item will sell on eBay in 7 days. A lot of the time I take partial trades here to move a item,I have stuff sit 3 months, I drop prices, I throw in stuff and all to avoid craigslist or eBay. I have only had to sell one thing on eBay because it sat here for months. I know of a few members here that make a sole living from flipping and guess what? they all sell on eBay and I have seen these members only post a few items over the course of years.

I like staying with the community. Thats what its all about. I enjoying the thrill of a new bass, I enjoy the bartering of trades, I enjoy the negotiation of a sale, I enjoy meeting fellow bass players, talking gear , band experience and I enjoy netting a item at a fair price and selling it at either a break even point, making a few dollars or only loosing a few. I never own more then 5-10 basses at a time. A few of my basses have passed through 4-5 forum members hands and I will pass it to another. A few of my basses came from "hot deals" learned about from TB.

Some people are retired or others like me are not married, fresh out of college with more money then they ever had in there life. For me this is my time to play the field before I get married and rather spend my time with my wife then chasing basses.

My father summed it up best when he saw my room of basses by saying " there are a lot worse things to be addicted to then basses". You truly only live once and I intend to own hundreds of basses, it keeps me playing often and you would not believe the opportunities I have had when buying or selling stuff, I have met pretty well known musicians and Its helped me get my foot in the door of the music industry, here in LA you never know who you run into when you buy or sell something so I keep my ear to the ground, I am young , building contacts and buying basses, I truly am living the life and I hope everyone can find something as enjoy as much as I do playing bass. I moved to LA just to play music, all my friends are musicians, my job is in a music field, my hobby is music, I truly am very grateful to have so much passion and dedication to something.
  12. snyderz

snyderz Supporting Member

Thank God for the TB classifieds. I play unlined fretless basses only, and they don't hang on music store walls. 75% of my basses (about 30) have passed through the hands of the TB community. Always fair, and always honest. Keep 'em coming, serial sellers!
  13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Gnarsty bass tones Supporting Member

GAS is no doubt an addiction for some, but there are plenty of other reasons why people constantly swap gear.

• Some folks just love variety, no addiction involved
    • Some may have a couple of keepers, but enjoy owning the latest models simply as extended audition... that's really the only way to know for sure if a bass is a keeper. If it's not a keeper, sell it to someone else
    • Some aren't really sure what they want. That's the way it was when I switched over to 5 string. I knew what I liked in a four, but I went through a bunch of fivers trying to figure out which worked best for me (most important lesson learned was that narrow string spacing does NOT work)
  14. Immigrant

Immigrant

There are a few serial sellers here; I occasionally post something for sale and when I get a response from someone I'm unfamiliar with, I look at their previous posts. There was one gentleman whose entire TB history was just buying and selling.

FWIW, GAS is Gear ACQUISITION Syndrome, not addiction syndrome. Addiction and syndrome are rarely used together to define an affliction.

🎸
  15. inthevelvet

inthevelvet Supporting Member

The main reason for some folks is just to try things out that aren't available to them locally. I've been looking for a roadworn jazz for months and can't find one in a store. I keep hearing how great they are but you never know if something will really fit you. So my most reasonable option now will be to find one for a decent price here and try it out. If I don't end up feeling the magic I can flip it and maybe lose $50 all said and done with shipping costs.
  16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Gnarsty bass tones Supporting Member

+1

A music store audition has some value when the item (bass, amp, cab, whatever) is available locally, but there is no substitute for trying it with your own gear at your own rehearsals/gigs.
  17. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

SIMPLE ANSWER

Why keep something you're not going to play?

I buy stuff I EXPECT to play but it doesn't work out, feel, spacing, noise, tone, pickup placement, neck dive, weight, build quality... whatever.
  18. nocluejimbo

nocluejimbo Supporting Member

Exactly this.

I have bought and sold quite a few items over the last couple of years on various forums. If you buy used and are patient, you really are only ever out the cost of shipping, so why not try whatever looks interesting?

I only want to keep what I am playing, so one amp, one bass, and whatever pedals I actually use are all I keep around.
  19. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

"My father summed it up best when he saw my room of basses by saying " there are a lot worse things to be addicted to then basses"."

My wife looks at my paltry collection and says, "better THOSE than other women...".

However, I must say that when I first started coming here a short time ago, I was immediately struck by how much higher a rate some people on this forum seem to turn gear than on several guitar forums I've gone on for years.

That remark is an observation, not a negative value judgement. Quite the contrary, in fact: I picked up a nice bass that another TB-er was done with and am very happy with it.
  20. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

I've played with the same band for 20 years. There HAS been turnover (guys moving away, kids' health problems, etc.), but the same basic core. What I've found is that NONE of the guitarists are anywhere close to me as far as buying new gear. Most of them settle on one guitar and they're happy. For me, GAS strikes almost every time I see something that hits my "hot button" or is a killer deal. Maybe it IS a bassist thing... ;)
  21. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Likely, doesnt help when this guy is my idol.

[​IMG]