Basses appropriate for a SMALL student

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by d_alexthegreat, Mar 30, 2014.

1. d_alexthegreat

d_alexthegreat

Hello TB,
    I am currently teaching a new bass student that is using my acoustic bass that is way too big for her. She is going to get a new bass, but I was wondering if the awesome people here could help me suggest some good basses that would be great in sound, yet comfortable in size.
    She would mainly be playing praise and worship music, and her budget is around $200 or so.
    If possible, please refrain from generic terms and relate to specific lines or models of basses.
    Thanks for your response!:D
  2. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

This inquiry screams Ibanez Mikro. Extra short scale, and they get some wonderful reviews. Check out the club haha.
  3. mrb327

mrb327 Just say No to Tort Supporting Member

I would suggest a used jazz bass or used short scale squier jaguar
  4. d_alexthegreat

d_alexthegreat

@ wild4oldcars-The Mikro sounds good.
    @ mrb327-The only problem with jazz basses and used basses is that their weights and "feels" can be hit or miss and I likely will not be able to accompany her on as she purchases the bass. Otherwise I would totally recommend this route.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

Mikro are nice basses. Small, light, easy to play, sound good, cheap.
  7. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

8. d_alexthegreat

d_alexthegreat

Any short scalers out there that have suggestions?
  9. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

There's also the Squier VM Jaguar Short Scale - really good option. Brand new $179
    Very versatile and highly regarded as excellent value/quality for the money. 30" scale. Has both a p-bass and a jazz bass pickup.

http://www.amazon.com/Squier-Modifi...396233646&sr=1-16&keywords=squier jaguar bass

also: Squier Mustang bass $285
    http://www.amazon.com/Fender-Vintag..._sbs_MI_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=18J0DFXG76N62Q0X478J

Epiphone Les Paul bass - you can buy a used one for less than $200.
    http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Bass/Les-Paul-Special-Bass.aspx

Gretsch Junior Jet bass $245
    http://www.amazon.com/Gretsch-Junio...8&qid=1396233227&sr=1-9&keywords=gretsch bass
  10. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Media:
    Albums:
  11. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

All I own are short scales.

I'd recommend any of these:

1: Squier Jaguar SS. A bass she could play for a long time. Good neck, good balance, good P pickup, mediocre J pickup. But since most people use the P as the main and blend in the J it works well.
    2: Ibanez Mikro. 28 1/2 scale. Easy to play, small thin neck. Sound good. A friend of mine who is very small uses one in her band.
    3: SX. They make a P and a J in short scale. Many people on here like them.
    4: Epiphone EB-0. Single pickup, not as many tonal variations as some other basses.
    5: Squier Mustang. I prefer the Mikey Way. Like the maple/maple neck and the humbucker gives it a different tone than other Squiers. Some prefer the Vintage Modified Mustang. Both are good buys.
    6: Squier Bronco. Good cheap learner bass. Before I bought one I'd check the neck. Mine is almost unplayable from the bad fretwork. Some of the frets hang over the edge 1/32 to 1/16. Definite finger cutters. But, once the frets are filed it is a very good beginner bass.
    7: Gretsch Junior Jet. Good bass. Ready to play right out of the box. Good neck, pickup.
    8: Hofner Icon/Ignition. You can find these used in the $200 range. Good, light, thin neck. Plus they have a cool factor that some others don't.
    9: Danelectro. You can find used models of these used for about the price.

Hope this helps. I have others that I like, but they are outside of your price range.
  12. d_alexthegreat

d_alexthegreat

@ fjadams- Wow! That was almost exactly what I was looking for.
    And thanks for the response, everyone else! Just about any of these models could do. This significantly opened up her options for blazing into the amazing world of the bass. I might point her towards the SS Jaguar and Mikro, but whatever she likes is what she will get :bassist:
  13. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

You're welcome.

I love SS basses, they're all I own.

You really can't go wrong with either of those two. The Jag SS is a good buy. Easily upgraded to improve it when and if needed. I've found the red ones have the best paint jobs followed by the black with the silver being last.

You can also get the Mikro with a rosewood or maple neck. I like the looks of a white one with maple neck best of all of them. Has a classic look.
  14. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I'd recommend this specific one. With shipping, it'll end up costing her (her parents) just over 100 bucks. Great bass too.
  15. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    I'd recommend that you tell us the age and approximate height of your student.

My 5th graders love playing my CS Jazz—because they are learning upright, and the Jazz is a short-scale to them compared to their 37" scale uprights.

In a pinch, I'd go for a used Mustang. Great tone and feel, small, light, short scale, and it will last them into young adulthood.
  16. d_alexthegreat

d_alexthegreat

@ Jim Carr- that is a good point about the uprights. And she is 12 and about 4'6". That Gretsch Junior Jet actually might not be bad for her either.
  17. capnjim

capnjim

Find out if she's serious about the bass. If its just a hobby to see if she likes it, any of the above will be fine. If she seems like she really loves it, she should save some more money and get a MIJ Mustang re-issue. They have been going for around 400$ and they are absolutely top notch. Something she can play for the rest of her life and never need an upgrade. Good enough for the Rolling Stones......
  18. If you find that the 30" short scale is still a little on the big side, try the Fender P Bass "Junior" which is an extra short 28" scale. They do not make them anymore, but they float around used from time to time and last I looked not expensive.

[​IMG]
  19. Monster Truck

Monster Truck Supporting Member

Squier Jaguar SS great bass with a nice thin neck.
  20. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

I bought my son and daughter each a SX Ursa 1 short scale-- their version of a p bass. Both stay in tune well, have a nice tone, are comfortable to play, and came setup fairly well. My daughter actually started playing hers at church already. And she loves the purple color.
    Hard to beat for about 120 dollars shipped. I highly recommend them.

And for comparison, I have a couple of basses that I use for teaching purposes. One is an Ibanez Mikro. It's not bad, but in my opinion, the SX's have a much nicer tone. But that is a personal preference.
  21. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member