Basses are cool!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by 1968z28, Mar 21, 2014.

1. 1968z28

1968z28

I am new to this site and have been lurking around after picking up a few old basses.
    I am a drummer/percussionist and have been big into vintage drums since the late 80's and in the course of equipping some inner city schools and churches with various horns I have ran across and picked all kinds of neat old saxes and trombones and you name it however I have always steered clear of string instruments. That is until I got these basses. I must say they are so cool. Just beautiful to look at and explore the difference in sound between fully carved, hybrid and plywood(learned that on this site)
    Sadly most of these are pretty beat but one by one I am getting them adjusted and setup properly.
    Most of these seem to be from the 60's and 70's and last night I was in a store with a new bass of some kind and I plucked the strings and my how lame it sounded compared to these older ones.
    Anyway, most of the questions I've had about how to tell between carved and plywood and cracks and repairs etc I've found on this site. Now I just have to decide which to fix and which to sell etc...

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

Welcome! :) We sure think they're cool. How 'bout some pics? We love eye candy.

3. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

4. 1968z28

1968z28

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    The beech wood neck is faux flame! The top looks pretty nice though. ;)